What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C-sink or dimple center section bulkhead flange

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out whether I'm supposed to countersink or dimple the anodized center section flanges where they attach to the bottom skin.

I know I was supposed to countersink the bottom skin in 4 places where the floor stiffeners will eventually go (so that the stiffeners will lay flat on the bulkhead flange), but am not sure about the rest. Since the plans specify countersinking the skin only in those four places, does that imply the rest of the bulkhead gets dimpled? While the bulkhead flange only appears to be .040, it's also anodized and I'm worried about any potential distortion.

Thanks for any clarification.

Dimple where you can

The 0.040 gets dimpled except where noted on the plans.

Paul M.
RV-4/RV-7A fuse/finishing

either one you like

I countersunk mine thru the center section skin. I saw this method on the Orndoff fuse video. I called Vans to be sure and I was told either method is just fine. The forward bottom skin dimples nest into the countersunk holes.

Just dimpled it last night--it turned out just fine, but I did wince the first time I heard that hard anodizing being squeezed between the dimples! Thanks to all for the replies.

Back