What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

c/s my E709 wrong part

Stevewiz

I'm New Here
e709.jpg.html

Well I managed to misread the plans this morning on machine countersinking where the e-702 spar and the 4 3/32 holes of the e709 meet on the right elevator. I c/s the 709 instead of the 702. I even questioned the material thickness of the 709 but went forward anyways. Being how 702 and 709 have the horn covering the corner with an additional 6 1/8 rivets per side what are your thoughts on whether I should replace the 709 or build on. Thanks for any input.

I would replace it. The only option you have now to fill the c/s void in the rib is to dimple the spar. Since the spar material is thicker than the rib, the dimple will likely not sit flush the c/s rib hole, without c/s deeper into the rib. You simply don't have enough material without making the hole bigger.

Yep it's a cheap part. Vans may be able to advise a decent work-around, but might as well drop $10 and not lose any sleep. I replaced a LOT of empennage parts as I learned, even when there were possible fixes. Wanted to set the right tone for the project.

Chris

Thanks for your input, I was leaning that way and the new part is on order. Only wish Vans was located in Wisconsin. LOL

Back