What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C-657 Canopy roller track cut out? RV-6

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Taking a shot someone might know this off the top of their head. Doing my best to keep this project moving even on Christmas Day much to my wife's dismay.
There's a full scale diagram of C-657 canopy roller track dimensions for trimming and cutout of slot at rear of track. It's on drawing SC-1A for RV6 sliding canopy.
Cutout of slot on full scale shows dimension of 1 3/8" but drawing is actually
11/16". Is drawing wrong or dimension. :eek: And is that slot for removal of roller if needed or just to get to the screw head.
Merry Christmas,my RV family! :)

Track

Tom I think that part of the track you are talking about, I have seen vary on different projects. Yes the fish mouth can be used for access to the roller but is not the intent. When you grind the outboard side at the rear,the finished product needs to be flush with the fuselage sides. The canopy will close tight in that area.
Most important is to keep tracks parallel within reason. Does not affect a whole bunch if the rear is slightly in from the front. The canopy will bow in as you slide it back. The front will naturally seal when you glass the forward section later on.
Long story but don't sweat about the numbers being exact, your will be made for your plane.

Now it's clear

Thanks Mike. The way you described it and how it has to be ground flush made everything clear. ;) The slot seems more a result of the grinding than a access point. Thanks, I was afraid to go to far without clearing this up. I've had to back up too many times already. :)

Wait until you have the rails fitted before you do any of that trimming. You may not have to trim it at all, i didnt have to on mine.

Back