What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BWI Insurance Company?

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone hear of this company or had aircraft coverage thru them? What’s been your experience? They are based in Southern CA.

Never hurts to shop around.

I just switched over my 9A insurance to them in June. Their quote was better than my Falcon Insurance quote by about 13%. Very friendly group and I believe you will find some positive comments from others who have used them.

My CFI is a big fan of BWI so I contacted them for quotes on an airplane I'm buying, as well as Leah Ringeisen at Gallagher. Both came back with the best deal being from AIG at the same price, but the one that Leah got me included an Open Pilot Warranty, which I needed, whereas the agent at BWI told me OPW wasn't available from AIG. My experience with Leah was very positive, whereas keeping in contact with the agent(s) at BWI has been a little bit of a struggle.

but the one that Leah got me included an Open Pilot Warranty, which I needed, .

Are you sure you need the open pilot warranty? Have you read the fine print? I personally would never put someone (or myself) in that possible position.

Not paying extra for it. In fact her quote from AIG was a few dollars cheaper than BWI's quote from AIG.

I need my friend/instructor to be insured in the plane in order to at least get it here from the previous owner. When Leah sends me the policy, I'll review the OPW and if my buddy doesn't like it, I'll just name him on the policy. In the meantime, I have her checking on a Waiver of Subrogation in case that's necessary.

Not paying extra for it. In fact her quote from AIG was a few dollars cheaper than BWI's quote from AIG.

I need my friend/instructor to be insured in the plane in order to at least get it here from the previous owner. When Leah sends me the policy, I'll review the OPW and if my buddy doesn't like it, I'll just name him on the policy. In the meantime, I have her checking on a Waiver of Subrogation in case that's necessary.

The typical OPW insures you, the owner. If there’s an accident while your friend (who meets the opw requirements) is flying the plane, then the insurance company will pay you for damage to the airplane. And if there’s a lawsuit, your insurance will defend you, and pay up to the policy limits if they loose. BUT, your friend has NO coverage. The insurance company reserves the right to sue your friend for their loss. And you are contractually bound to help them. Your friend has no liability coverage. Usually, insurance companies are happy to add a cfi as a ‘named insured’. That’s what you should ask for.

The typical OPW insures you, the owner. If there’s an accident while your friend (who meets the opw requirements) is flying the plane, then the insurance company will pay you for damage to the airplane. And if there’s a lawsuit, your insurance will defend you, and pay up to the policy limits if they loose. BUT, your friend has NO coverage. The insurance company reserves the right to sue your friend for their loss. And you are contractually bound to help them. Your friend has no liability coverage. Usually, insurance companies are happy to add a cfi as a ‘named insured’. That’s what you should ask for.

Good overview, thanks. Certainly argues for naming him on the policy.

Back