What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an RV-3 kit and have questions!!!

Funbobby

I have a friend that has built many kits including an RV and he says that I should make sure that VANs supports the RV-3 before buying. I have to make the deal today. Does anyone know if I'll have problems getting support and parts? Thanks.

Bob

The RV's are by far the most popular and best supported kit aircraft. That being said, the -3 is the least refined kit of the bunch. The others benefit from more detailed plans/manuals, matched-holes, etc. If you can handle a longer build time then go for it.

Which type of wing?

"I have to make the deal today" Why? unless you are already familiar with what you should be seeing, that is a warning flag.:eek:
With more for the builder to do, there is quite a bit of variation in builds, not necessarily quality, but in how builders solve problems. I don't know that I'd make a quick decision, there's some risk in that.

If it is a non-b wing kit, Van's will support you in updating the wing to allow you to get it back in the aerobatic category. Van's staff told me it is challenging to support the 3, due to it being low volume and the oldest, but they try. Just not many of them have dealt much with the 3.

RV-3

Thanks for the input. It's an auction and the price is great. I realize I'm up for a lot of work and probably have to change the wing, but I think it's worth it as long as Vans will help me get there.

RV-3

There is a retrofit for that wing according to their site. It means a lot of work, but they said they'd supply the materials. Hopefully they'll honor that with a new buyer.

There is a retrofit for that wing according to their site. It means a lot of work, but they said they'd supply the materials. Hopefully they'll honor that with a new buyer.

I would talk to Van's about their support for second-hand kit buyers, but yes, you can retrofit the kit. It is a very fun and challenging project - if you are a first-time builder, make sure that you have some experienced builders close by to help you through - there is MUCH left up to your imagination, and knowing how aircraft structures work is pretty important to solving the puzzles. Van's support folks will be friendly and up front about the fact that they really don't have anyone there that has built a-3 and can give you first-hand help.

Paul

Back