What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an RV-10

n981ms

Well Known Member
I am considering buying a completed RV-10. My question is what are some of the specific things I should look at to give me an idea of build quality? Certainly overall appearance gives an indication of attention to detail. What are some of the areas of construction that you have seen that are more prone to builder error so to speak? My thoughts are if trouble areas are OK the other areas are likely OK also.

Any other pitfalls of buying an airplane built by someone else?

I have built a Kitfox Series 6 with an IO240 and some of that knowledge will help I suppose.

Thanks in advance

Go to the EAA website and look up a "technical counselor" near where the aircraft is and have him take a look at it either for you or with you. Another 10 builder would also be helpful. The 10 is bigger and slightly different in many areas than other RV's so local knowledge is helpfull.

Good Luck

Gary Specketer

Welcome to VAF, Maxwell..

..I'd highly recommend another RV'er go with you for a pre-buy inspection. You don't say where you're located but it doesn't matter....you can go anywhere in Georgia in under an hour in an RV. I'm taking delivery of my -10 shortly and have built three airplanes. I'd be glad to assist in a pre-buy within a week.

There are a bunch of RV'ers in Georgia and also A@P/IA's in the mix. It's too big an investment to not thoroughly be examined with all the cowling and fairings off the airplane.

Regards,

Unfortunately, the airplane is too far for an RV ride, so I want to be as certain as possible before I make the investment of airline travel. I was thinking of specific areas to ask for build pictures of. I have no reason to think it is not done well, but before I put my family in it I want to "know" as best I can.

Thanks

Maxwell

Where is it located

Where is the plane located? Someone in that area can direct you to a local prebuy source or may know plane/builder.

Yeah...mine's across the Country...

...in Montana, near Canada:eek: Fortunately, there is an RV builder assist gentleman in Washington who knows this airplane inside out and helped in the construction. Amazing the far reaches of this forum that I so easily had all the pre-buy info I could ask for from the horses' mouth, plus he's an A@P/IA who did the first flight and most of Phase 1.

Blue skies,

Back