What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying a used RV aircraft

aaronbor

I'm New Here
Hello friends,

I am new to this forum. This is an incredible source of information advice and encouragement.

I had a dream of building and RV8 for decades. But I swept that idea under the carpet with life and responsibilities.

This past July I attended EAA AirVenture for the first time and now my dream has been reignited.
Unfortunately, right now I don’t have the space or the time available to take on the RV8 building project. (I know more excuses) In 6 years, after retirement, I will be able to do it, and I will do it.

Even thou I can't build right now, there is nothing the precludes me from buying a flying RV8. I think that would be a great way to get experience with the aircraft.

I would appreciate guidance in:

• How to go about finding a good used aircraft
  • What to look for
  • What to avoid
  • How to know what fair prices and values are
  • How the buying process works
  • Pre buy Inspections
  • Where to get transition flight training
I have been reading some of the archived post and there is a wealth of information here.

I wound appreciate any advice and experience anyone want to share.

Thank you

Aaron

Some info from Van’s, in case you haven’t seen these yet:

And Vic Syracuse’s book with info on pre-buy inspections:

Good luck in your search!

Four years ago, i started that exact same search for an RV 6/7/9 by posting a “ want to buy” post in the classified section here on VAF. It was a different market then, but I got several responses and less than 6 weeks later picked up the airplane I was hoping for. I don’t know how you’d swing it but I was fortunate enough to hook up with an RV “guru” who carefully helped me understand what I was looking for, separate wheat from chaff, then steered me through the “pre- pre-buy” process, finally helped me ferry the airplane home then did my transition training. He was the father of one of my partners (but my age) and it was my financial advisors that put us together. He was an invaluable guide and remains a great friend and resource. We were both on the very threshold of retiring but I had ZERO interest in building. That whole process for me remains my most rewarding aviation experience in over 50 years as a pilot.

Back