What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying a flying RV- inspecting and maintenance that was needed

jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
I sold my RV9a kit and purchased a flying RV7 recently and have spent the last two weeks going through the airplane inspecting/fixing/changing items.

A few interesting items of note:

1. shrink tubing makes it tough to find broken wires.
2. NEVER solder three or more leads at odd angles together (hence the broken lead).
3. Abundant use of terminal blocks behind the panel makes "re" wiring a snap. This gentleman ran everything around the airplane to a termination point behind the panel and another shorter run from there to the instrument/switch.
4. for the money/maintenance- NEVER re-use old AN fittings. A AN917-1 "T" at the oil temp/pressure sensors was cracked along the top and above idle ejected oil like a firehose.
5. The pain in the rear factor for changing out old switches etc...for the money invested in a new switch doesn't make sense to salvage old stuff.
6. when making your baffles- consider if you can get the spark plug OUT, also consider avoiding tight angles for the wires off the plug.
7. baggage floor- the strobe power supply went bad and was 'temporarily' replaced behind the co-pilot seat. Consider NOT riveting the platenuts into the floor panel. It was a piece of cake drilling out the pop rivets, but a real bugger to drill out the platenuts and reinstall them along the back and baggage tunnel access.
8. brake lines- watch out running the brake lines to the reservoir. The lines were run in such a way that it 'loosened' the T at the reservoir. tighten the T to make the lines tie into the T clockwise and when the pedals are pushed the tension won't pull counterclockwise on the T.
9. Don't use old mixture/throttle/carb heat cables.

Overall the craftmanship is good on the plane- some other things you might not notice till the plane is finished.

1. the elevator weights- might need adjusting after final install and paint.
2. electric aileron trim can affect heavy wing condition from being too tight.
3. camloc bolts would sure make getting the cowling on/off a lot easier alone- and are a lot of work to install after paint.
4. T15 fasteners might look cool and sound like a good idea- but they strip easier than philips heads screws. A square head would be better than the T15 or stick with the phillips- anywhere you go someone will have a phillips screwdriver.
5. electrical equipment in the sides of the fuselage (by your elbows) can cause rubbing with the rudder cable. A PS intercom was wired by the pilot side and there is a mess of wires that are tight with the rudder cable.
6. drll separate holes for the static lines and the ruder cables.

Some really good ideas;

1. The builder cut custom wood floor boards that screwed down with insulation below. Looks good, stays in place, low wear, easy cleanup!
2. The builder used thin plastic to make side panels. He bent the plastic and then back sprayed it the interior color and used rivnuts to mount in place. A bit angular, but light and clean looking.
3. He used a Laird Owens modular fiberglass panel- AWESOME! I changed one small panel section and moved around a bunch of switches without having to redo the whole panel. NOTE- if installing a Laird Owens panel, run a metal angle across the bottom for support of the throttle/mixt mount.

A couple more days of inspection/cleanup and I'll be starting the next 19 hours of insurance required dual (no previous tailwheel time).

These are great airplanes and I love that I can maintain the plane. Certainly having a great group of RV'ers around (Falcon Squadron) makes it easier as well as the VAF forum.

Maintaining it

jcmcdowell said:
These are great airplanes and I love that I can maintain the plane. Certainly having a great group of RV'ers around (Falcon Squadron) makes it easier as well as the VAF forum.
Thanks for a very informative report. Just to pick a nit you may already know about, only an A&P (or higher) or the original builder if he is the "repairman" can "maintain" the airplane beyond what the owner can do in a type certified airplane. At least that is how I interpret the regulations.

Fortunately not so!

An experimental can be maintained by anybody (eg. owner, pilot) and the scope of work that can be done is not limited as it is with standard certificated airplanes. The only thing that needs to be done by an A&P or the holder of the repairman's certificate issued for that airplane is the conditional inspection (due annually)

Martin Sutter
EAA Tech Counselor
building and flying RV's since 1988

hevansrv7a said:
...... At least that is how I interpret the regulations.

Check out FAR 43.1(b). I think it does not apply to experimentals, so this allows anyone to do maintenance. Condition Inspections on the other hand require "the repairman" or A&P....at least this is how I interpret the regs.

[edit] Doh! I'm a slow typer.

hydroguy2 said:
Check out FAR 43.1(b). I think it does not apply to experimentals, so this allows anyone to do maintenance. Condition Inspections on the other hand require "the repairman" or A&P....at least this is how I interpret the regs.
I trust EAA's interpretation, which is identical to yours:

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/selling/nonbuilder_maintenance.html

"FAR Part 43 specifically states that the rules of that part do not apply to experimental, amateur-built aircraft. Therefore, any work (not just maintenance) on an experimental aircraft can be performed virtually by anyone regardless of credentials. (This does not apply to the condition inspection)."

I'd hate to see that interpretation ever be proven incorrect. If a differing interpretation is ever forced from the FAA, say due to a high profile lawsuit, the devaluation of already built airplanes will be very costly to everyone.

Last edited:
Happy to be Wrong!

You all are right and I was wrong. Boy, that feels good. I guess I was thinking about the Condition Inspection. It's good as it is.

Great news Jerry. Give me a call sometime and I'll stop by again. Oh btw - I'm loving the tungsten bucking bar! I finished my HS yesterday.

Told you...

Luckily- you're just at the beginning and won't 'regret' not having the tungsten bucking bar for the rest of the project. It'll be the best $100 you spend on tools.

It really made a HUGE difference in the ease of pounding rivets. It makes getting into those tight spots much easier.

Hopefully I'll be flying with Vern Darley a bunch in the next few weeks.

SIDEBAR: Kent Gorton was a great tailwheel CFI in his RV6 from Mallards for those looking. Very nice guy, lots of building experience as well. We were having so much fun, I went for an extra hour of TNG's (Ouch- $150).

NEW DISCOVERIES...

First a disclosure- I bought this RV7 from the estate of the builder who passed away suddenly. Who can tell what his mind set was and when items were installed.

When I bought the RV7, my CFI, A&P buddy/mentor went down to do a pre-purchase inspection. We looked over the engine, controls, etc etc...On the test flight we noted the oil pressure gauge pegged at 100psi upon startup. There was no oil leaking from the engine itself and there was 6 qts indicated on the dipstick. So there was oil in the engine, no leaks from seals or gaskets. Appeared to be a gauge issue- nothing major, we'll look into it later.

LATER...I 'assumed' there was an issue with the Westach sensor or gauge or the wires in between. I ordered an MGL Enigma and planned on swapping out the Westach gauges (using the sensors) when I installed the Enigma (PFD, EFIS & EIS-AOK :)). I got the Enigma in and that's when the fun started (the actual install of the Enigma was uneventful).

I bought a new westach single wire pressure sensor for the oil pressure, reasoning that might be the answer. It read zero on the Enigma. I use the old sensor an it read zero. I asked my A&P buddies on the field and they suggested using a mechanical gauge (I used the one off the compressor- up to 200 psi, pipe thread) to determine a 'real' value to start the process of elimination.

The mechanical gauge pegged at 200psi at 1000 rpm! WHOA! More consultation suggested looking at the pressure relief bypass. That's the 1" square cap on cylinder three for O-320's and 0-360's. I checked it out, removed the spring holding the ball bearing (which regulates the pressure oil bypass) and ran the engine without the spring or ball bearing and the pressure was still WAY HIGH.

I checked the bypass drain to the crank with a stiff wire- clear all the way down.

NOTE; the builder replaced the standard screen housing with an Airwolf remote air filter setup. I'm not sure what the thinking was on how this was installed, so one might consider the builder recently upgraded the filter system and passed away before he could troubleshoot the problem.

He installed a steel braided hose which should have gone directly to the remote filter assembly to the oil cooler. From the oil cooler he ran a hose to the oil filter, then back to the housing on the accessory case. The typical oil cooler installation from below the housing to the top of the crank was bypassed with a single hose.

I removed all the hoses an checked for a obstructions (none). Then I bypassed the oil cooler AND oil filter. This resulted in a 40-50 psi drop down to 140psi. Still WAY TOO HIGH.

The last thing to check before things got serious, I removed the Airwolf housing. On my O-320 oil pressure mount, there are three oil holes. The center one is large and on each side there is a smaller hole. I think the big one is the supply, and the smaller ones are the return. The original tube screen would catch all the gunk and send the oil back to the smaller holes. This Airwolf assembly only had TWO holes. What's more, the gasket was the original lycoming housing gasket which partially covered the larger Airwolf hole. In effect, one return port was almost completely covered- increasing pressure through the other port. I am not even certain this housing was designed for a Lycoming!

I removed the housing (and removed the filter assembly as well) and borrowed an original lycoming housing with the screen and the pressure was within normal operating range!

I re-routed the oil cooler lines back to the way they were designed, added a vernatherm. Now I have about 3-4 lbs less forward, 2 less hoses which can go bad, good oil temps, and oil pressure which should not blow all the gaskets and seals on the engine.

To date I have removed the vacuum pump, vacuum regulator, vacuum filter, all 1/8" copper tube, the Airwolf remote filter assembly including 2 hoses, the ineffective oil seperator including 3 hoses, 10 gauges and plethora of wires.

For me, especially when entering the game post flying, KISS KISS KISS! simplify whenever possible! This also helps on the maintenance side of post flying ownership- who know I may keep the original screen assembly as it prescribes to my KISS philosophy!

Buying

Good writeup on some very interesting findings.

On your sidebar above, I got about 2.5 hrs dual instruction with Kent Gorton in his RV-6 before my first flight in my RV-8. He is a good guy and an excellent instructor. Aside from the usual bounce drill down the runway, we did slow flight,stalls, spins, loops rolls, hammerheads etc. All you guys in the Southeast looking for a checkout in a tailwheel RV can't go wrong with Kent.

http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_G...5D97CC63392B789C86256EDF006167E4?OpenDocument

i was just informed by a licensed a&p that i am not allowed any maint to my rv other then allowed on a piper or cessna. also ,was told eaa interpretation of far
43.1 is wrong. so, any sugestions on how to reply or deal with an a&p or fbo that take this position??

Find a new A&P, if that is possible. It is doubtful that your A&P has put more resources into researching this than the EAA....and I suspect that the EAA has even coordinated with the FAA - if for no other reason than to cover their own liability in making this recommendation!

Paul

I agree

http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_G...5D97CC63392B789C86256EDF006167E4?OpenDocument

i was just informed by a licensened a&p that i am not allowed any maint to my rv other then allowed on a piper or cessna. also ,was told eaa interpretation of far
43.1 is wrong. so, any sugestions on how to reply or deal with an a&p or fbo that take this position??

I agree with Paul, Everyone is entiltled to their opinion, but.
Lots of people don't really like that builders and especially second owners can also do their own maintenance/upgrades. Just because he said it, doesn't make it true. Carry on!

IT'S ALL IN THE FINE PRINT.....

i was just informed by a licensened a&p that i am not allowed any maint to my rv other then allowed on a piper or cessna. also ,was told eaa interpretation of far
Sec. 43.1

Applicability.

[(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (d) of this section, this part prescribes rules governing the maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration of any-]
(1) Aircraft having a U.S. airworthiness certificate;

[(b) This part does not apply to any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft.]

Is it not clear in paragraph (b) of 43.1???:D

Last edited:
Back