What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buyers of Vans IO-540 Engine Note This

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
As many of us know, if you get a YIO-540 engine from Vans it is likely to come with a dual-groove flywheel. This wheel has been known to cause alignment issues with some alternators. It also lacks the boss mounts on the inside to allow things like LightSpeed Plasma sensor rings to be mounted.

You have two options you should be aware of:

1) If you know ahead of time, ask Vans to order the engine with a single groove flywheel. If they resist, let them know they have done it many times in the past. Escalate the issue if they continue to resist

2) If you already have your engine, Lycoming will swap out the flywheel **IF** you have not started the engine. Call the Thunderbolt division and they will send you an affidavit to sign that says you have not used the flywheel and they will swap it out for you no charge.

I just made a call to Ann just after the order was placed. I was afraid that they could have missed the request on the order form. She took care of it and the right flywheel arrived.

If enough people bug (gently) her, it might get changed to an option on the form.

Can't check it yet...

My engine arrived the second week in January and still sets all crated up in a pick-up truck a mile from the workshop. Can't get the truck to the workshop because there is 3 feet of snow and can't get the gates open.

Since this is a late shipment (direct from Lycoming) does anyone know if it might have the correct flywheel?

Great Customer Support from Lycoming

I was one of the ones that started this, 18 months ago, and they would not change my order, but promised to switch it out after I got it. (Did not want to change their checklists on the production line or something like that).

I did not think about it after my engine came and I was not ready to hang it.

15 Months later when I started looking at the alternator/flywheel I remembered I had not changed it out.

Call the phone number in the Engine Manual, (Got the normal Lycoming division), and they were totally unhelpful, and said they WILL NOT/ DO NOT ever exchange parts on an engine. Then after 20 min of them saying NO,NO, NO, even after I had started in with YIO-540, go them to transfer me to person who works with Vans. Immediately she was "No Problem here is the RMA" what address do you want the single pully one sent to. Night and Day between the certified side and experimental side... but what else would you expect.

Bill

Back