What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buy/build order

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
I'm now getting in to the area of building an airplane that requires you to know a little something about building an airplane.

From the fuselage forward this is what I have in mind, tell me if it makes sense. (Money is a factor since I am a pay as you go poor guy).

Build Fuselage
Buy / Install Avionics including fuel pump
Finalize engine decision
Buy / build finishing kit
Finish all wiring
Order engine
Fly

Sid, that's the exact order I plan to use. Someone else care to offer an alternate/better method?

Don't forget your prop

Sid,

I think that I would do the avionics last.

Build Fuselage
Finalize engine decision
fuel pump
Buy / build finishing kit
Finish all wiring
Order engine and prop (to save money think used).
Now you can finsih the cowl.
Buy / Install Avionics
Fly

Advanatage goes to tip-up

I'm building a -9 tip up. You can do full canopy installation before having to rivet front top skin on. Not true with the slider. I plan to wait until very end to order electronics.

Alan
RV-9A Tip up
Working on finish kit.

Order Avionics At the End

I would wait till as late as possible to get avionics.

Engines won't change much during this time, avionics are guaranteed to change. If you wait, you will end up with more bang for your buck.

It is my understanding that the engine waranties can be delayed up to six months. I do not think this is true regarding the avioncs. For that reason, I plan to delay the avionics purchase till last. I might go ahead and buy the trays. That way, I can finish the panel and then plug in the expensive items closer to first flight.

Brantel said:
I would wait till as late as possible to get avionics.

Engines won't change much during this time, avionics are guaranteed to change. If you wait, you will end up with more bang for your buck.
That's true, but it depends on what you want for avionics. In my case, I have everything except a transponder already. Day/night VFR panel, no gyros. Simple, but since I have it, I plan to do panel work before the engine.

Back