What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bushwheels on a -7A?

ncarmon

Folks,

I've been thinking about the soft/short field capabilities of my -7A. Seems like wheel size would be one factor to consider.

Would it make any sense to put 380x150-5s on a -7A? What would you put on the nose gear?

Thoughts?

Check out this thread.

There was a guy who put large tires on his -9A but for the life of me I couldn't find the thread on the -9A forum.

Last edited:
Yup...

That's where I got my idea from, but everyone is talking about the TD, not the trike....still looking for anyone that went up on the wheel size on a -7A or any other A model.

The English group (across the big water) have been working on a heavier nose wheel fork and larger wheel. I didn't keep the gent's name but if you EM the list, I am sure you will get a reply quickly.

[email protected]

Bill S
7a Ark

If you want the capability, you should really think about the taildragger. The mains on the nose gear models are not the problem, the nose gear is. I would think that adding bush tires to the mains would only make it worse.

I am not tring to start a flame war here, but I can't imagine any way to make a nose gear RV suitable for "soft short" field work. Now, we may have different ideas of what that means. If you like the grass, and want a nosegear, then find golf course strips with thousands of feet.

Here in the nord, soft short means a field like Benson with 1500 feet, tall obstructions on both ends and a strip with sudden "elevation" changes....the need to get it down, and get on the brakes would make a nose gear a non starter in my book. Even Jensen field, with over 2,000 feet but some particular pits here and there would be tough to put a nose gear down short.

Choose a configuration that fits the mission. Not saying to stay of the grass all together, but pick places which are uber smooth and which will not require an immediate transition from flare to heavy braking.

In short....the size of the mains on an A model is not the limiting factor for soft/short work.

RV 10..

That's where I got my idea from, but everyone is talking about the TD, not the trike....still looking for anyone that went up on the wheel size on a -7A or any other A model.

The RV 10 nose fork has been modified by someone on here and used a 5" wheel/tire combo. He had a machine shop make bushing inserts for the -10 fork so that it would fit the smaller diameter -7A fork. He wanted more clearance as well.

Regards,

If you like the grass, and want a nosegear, then find golf course strips with thousands of feet.
IMHO I think the above statement is somewhat exaggerated. I can't speak for the 7A but I operate my 9A off my grass farm airstrip with no problems. The strip is 1,420 ft long at 4,300 ft altitude and the surface is a bit rougher than the average grass strip and has a few up and downs. Due to the approaches and shape of the strip it is not possible to touch down closer than about 300 ft from the threshold at either end so moderate braking is needed.

Fin
9A Flying

I agree, Fin. I have been flying off 1700 ft grass whoop-de doo for 14 years, the last 4 with my 7A. It also was a farmers field. And I don't have tundra tires either. I hate statements like that. They serve no purpose but to insight flame wars.

There is no need to make a nose gear RV suitable for soft short fields. The pilot needs to learn the proper technique. The experienced will know how to negotiate these conditions. Those inexperienced and lacking proper training will be the ones to fear these runways and make mistakes in judgement.

Roberta

Well,

That's why I was sure to make it clear what I meant by short soft fields. No offense roberta, but you fly off an airpark.

Fin, you fly a 9, with a much lower landing speed, and hence much less of a need for touchdown/braking that the poster's 7.

Benson, the airfield I used as an example, is on the chart for the twin cities, give it a shot, report back....I would not recomend you take a nose gear RV in there, but if you want an idea of what I was describing...there it is.

The second field I used as an example is only mildly rough and obstructed, but the vast majority of nosegear rv drivers I know won't land there...I imagaine that such is a reflection of their good judgement rather than their lack of skill.

Sorry, but the poster asked about the kind of strips requiring bush wheels. I am assuming he means a field with a steep short approach and soft/rough surface, not a groomed strip with a flat approach.

Do you disagree that:

1. Although pilot techniques can be a fator, there are grass strips for which a nose gear rv is an improper craft.

2. Adding bushwheels to the mains alone would alter the gear geometry adding weight to the nose and exacerbating the current issues.

3. Adding a large nose wheel probably is a poor design fit for the rest of the nose gear structure.

I certainly can't imagine why you would argue with the premise that, if one is going to outfit an RV with bush wheels, perhaps a taildragger is a better candidate for those operations.

If you had a rough strip and a choice between a TD with six inch tires or a NG with six inch mains and a 5 inch nosegear (one size up on both), which would you choose?

John,
I have not flown a TD RV so I cannot say with any authority which is best on soft/short strips. I suspect you may be correct in your assertion that the TD would be more suitable, however my understanding is that Vans prefers the A models for short strips??? I stand by my Post #7 which referenced the particular quote you made; "If you like the grass, and want a nosegear, then find golf course strips with thousands of feet".

Fin
9A Flying :)

Well,
That's why I was sure to make it clear what I meant by short soft fields. No offense roberta, but you fly off an airpark.

Fin, you fly a 9, with a much lower landing speed, and hence much less of a need for touchdown/braking that the poster's 7.
John,
Which "A" model RV have you flown into grass strips? Just trying to determine your personal experience...
Thanks

I feel that it doesn't matter what airplane you fly, if you don't know how to fly on an unemproved field you WILL bend it.

Benson, the airfield I used as an example, is on the chart for the twin cities, give it a shot, report back....I would not recomend you take a nose gear RV in there, but if you want an idea of what I was describing...there it is.

John,
Its a bit far to fly the 9A from Australia to Benson and Jensen:rolleyes: but I would like to view them on Google Earth. Have I got the correct identifiers; Benson 6MN9 and Jensen 6MI1?
Thanks in advance,
Fin
9A

those are the correct airport identifiers...I just visited the satellite photos and they are old, but you get the idea.

It is hard to see, until you have landed at either, what impediments I am talking about.

try this link

http://lloydsplane.50megs.com/index.html

I hope this link works for the guy looking for nose wheel ideas.
Someone was selling a 9A with a 10 wheel a while back with good pictures.
There IS a link somewhere on VAF with more info, found it searching once.
There is also a 7A driver in my area that has installed a front tire the same size as the mains and said he loves it. Has yet to put on a fairing though. He also likes the prop clearance. It was done with a 10 fork.

T.S.
7A taking wings back off to put on tail = RV logic

Back