What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bus bar wiring

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am looking for opinions on my method for connecting wires to the buses. The top two rows in the photo are my main buss breakers. The big nut at the top is the 6 awg wire from the battery relay, it is just the lug now. The short wire labeled P13 is how I connect the top bus bar to the middle bar. This wire is only 8 awg, I am not sure this is OK since the main feed is a 6 awg wire. I am using 6 awg based Aeroelectric DWG, but I am guessing I could get away with 8 awg, it is only about 3 feet from the contactor to the bus. I will run wire from the 8 awg wire where you see it clamped, to the diode on the black heat sink then to the bottom bus bar which is my essential bus.

Please give me feedback and pointers, I want to know if I am on the right track. This panel will sit by my right leg along the sloped console of the RV-8A. I used a castle nut because for a temporary install it is easier to work with. I am using a AN4 bolt because that is the smallest size lug I could find for the 6 awg wire.

znpnxx.jpg

Last edited:
It would be easier to show what I did, instead of describing it but I don't know how to paste pictures here.

Anyway, I cut each of my buss a bit longer and put a 90 degree angle to it at one end. Then I used another small piece of copper (buss) to jump each of my Buss together with nuts and bolt. I have one main Buss and one Buss that is switched for all Avionics. I also run a large piece of shrink tube over the Buss to cover any portion that is not connected. I doubt the shrink tube is going to get me much protection against shorting out, but it would give me that false sense of hope :)

Good luck
Mehrdad
RV7A

Back