What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Burglar Alarm Systems

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just wondering if anyone has put a burglar alarm system in thier pride and joy. I would like to take an automotive keyless entry system and just wire up a couple of microswitchs that would activate the alarm if the cockpit was opened or the oil door was opened. Obvioulsy, someone could still open it and get out with something but if the siren was blowing and the stobes going off, it would be pretty distracting.

I don't really want to have a positive lock (safety issues and access as well) but might be interested if anyone could show me how it might be done.

I'm not sure of the value of the little lever lock that Vans suggests. I think that if someone really wanted something, they would easily break the lock and probably do more damage getting in than what they might steal. I think that there might be some value in a simple but LOUD remote access alarm.

Anybody done anything like that and can you recommend a keyless system that might wire easy?

Thanks, all comments apprecieated.

Bill S
7a finishing

Car alarm

Most car alarms are simple to wire up and inexpensive to buy. They run on 12V, some come with a keyless remote and may have outputs to connect to the cars horn which you could use to connect to the strobe lights. They also have an interface to connect to the electric locks which may be useful.

They draw a little bit of power so the plane should be plugged into a battery maintainer if not run for a few weeks.

I have not done this nor do I know anyone who has but I have considered it.

I would want a master switch to disable it 100% when flying or when it is inn for maintenance.

I don't think it would deter a prepared thief at a deserted airport. But it may keep em honest at a busy fly-in.

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Very interesting idea. I have installed many alarms for my customers in autos and it would be very easy to use in a/c. IMO it would be Bulldog alarm systems. They have several different types and features and are very easy to connect. They even have simple starter/ignition disable features that would be neat. Also they are very light systems.

Hummmmmm

And going 1 step further......a radio link that transmits anywhere in the us to call my cell phone. Been there done that......:D

Hmmmmmmm x 3 seems doable

Several of the alarm systems I have looked at on the web have options to send a message to a pager (which is cheap compared to cell phones) and I noted one with a GPS tracker as well. Lots of options if you want to fool with it.

In the end, if they can't get the canopy open, they will just break it out causing more damage. If they open it and the alarm goes off, I think they will scoot if there is anyone around to hear it. If it's a real remote place, probably nothing works for the radios and chain and cable for the prop/engine will just slow them down a little.

I think I'll check on the Bulldog system mentioned above. Is there a good specialty house for alarms that is reasonably priced?

Also interesting is to think about the remote lock but can't really think of a good place to put it on a 7.

All ideas welcome.

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

Back