What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building Tip - Elevator Trim Hinge Pin

f1rocket

Well Known Member
This is an idea that many people have used in the past. Unfortunately, I found out about it after I had built my RV-6. I struggled with finding a way to secure the hinge pin on the elevator trim tab until I saw this technique used on some RVs that I looked at up at Air Venture.
Elevator46.jpg
Elevator48.jpg

As supplied in the kit, the hinge is longer than what's needed. When you trim the hinge to length, be sure to NOT cut the hinge pin. Leave it long and extending past the end of the elevator as shown above. Now bend the hinge pin so that it will lay across the web of the spar.
Elevator47.jpg
Elevator49.jpg

Take a spare piece of hinge and cut out one eye. Drill a hole in it for a #6 screw. Slip it over the hinge pin and locate the position of the screw hole in the web of the spar. Remove everything and attach a #6 nut plate behind the hole. The nut plate will fit on the forward side of the elevator trim spar web where it extends past the edge of the inside elevator rib. When you're done, you'll find that you will be able to get a long bladed screwdriver on the screw even with the trim tab mounted and in-place.

great tip

That's a great tip. It sure looks better than my safety job. I'm going to retrofit one on my elev. trim. thanks, Jack

I agree, excellent information! Too bad we can't search this site for the word 'tip' ... too few letters. Maybe we could use a keyword such ast BTIP for Building TIPs? Just a thought. Anyway, thanks for the information Randy!

-Jim
o=\o

Keywords: BTIP, tips, tricks, hints, safety,

Just FYI, I asked Doug a couple of months ago if he would set up a category for building tips. I could see where it would be hard to control what got posted there, but it might make it easier to find stuff.

Anyway, I have a couple more tips I'll post in the coming days.

I'm just getting ready to attach my trim tab on my -9 now. Is there any reason not to just bend and safety wire the hinge pin like the blueprints suggest? Is this a "cosmetic" issue only or is there some structural/safety issue for screwing the hinge pin in place?

Regardless, thanks for providing the detailed tip--the pics really help.

Steve

elev trim hinge pin

It's not a safety issue. The safety wire works fine. It's cosmetic only. Jack

Thrifty and simple..

Van's guys have designed things to be simple and economical. Safety wire is cheap and effective for this application. The hinge tab is how Van's secures the two hinge pins that hold the upper and lower cowl together.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ

Hinge Placement

Does each side of the hinge slide into the respective spars until the eyes meet the skin, or is there a set distance, Unless I'm missing something, I can't see on the plans..It looks like a 1/4" which is the thickness of the eyes..

What you're after is to have the trailing edge of the trim tab aligned with the trailing edge of the remainder of the elevator. I used a piece of alumninum angle taped to the trailing edge of the elevator and extending out to provide a reference for the trim tab. This established the dimension of the gap between the leading edge of the trim tab and the trailing edge of the elevator. Position the hinge in place such that the pin is midway between the edges of the trim tab and the elevator and that's it.

William

Rv10 elev trim pin securing

I really do not want to have that cosmetic safety wire look securing the hinge pin in the hole drilled. Would securing it with something else be less of an eye sore. Perhaps silver soldering??

A buddy used a small piece of hinge material to make a keeper for the flap hinge pins. I don't have a photo, but it worked something like an aluminum Adel clamp. He installed a #8 nut plate with a screw to hold it in place. You could do something similar, but chances are you won't ever notice the safety wire back there if you were to follow the plans.

It's somewhat like going to near-heroic measures to never have any visible pulled rivets, even when the plans call to use one. It's really not a big deal. Simple is good. But do what makes you happy (and safe).

For the flap hinge pins, I used a collet on both ends. 10 years and no problems. You might be able to do the same thing with the trim tab hinge pin.

Trim tab pin nut plate

I’ve seen this nut plate method on trim tabs… looks great!

Attachments

• 3E83A384-E4D0-48D1-A5FC-ED377B119865.jpg
    3E83A384-E4D0-48D1-A5FC-ED377B119865.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 139
  • FBEA12FD-930B-4AC0-B7AE-AACE66B4B6B4.jpg
    FBEA12FD-930B-4AC0-B7AE-AACE66B4B6B4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 136
Back