What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building table for wings

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am getting my wing kit tomorrow and thought of building a table specific for the wing build. I have wing stands that were given to me to use by a nice VAF guy in Denver. I have 2 tables I built for the empennage.

My question is, what size should I make it or should I build two that could be joined. Should they be exactly level? My garage floor slopes so melted snow from cars drains out. I could mark the floor, use my laser and make the tables level if necessary.

Any other ideas to get ready for the wings? Thanks.

I am getting my wing kit tomorrow and thought of building a table specific for the wing build. I have wing stands that were given to me to use by a nice VAF guy in Denver. I have 2 tables I built for the empennage.

My question is, what size should I make it or should I build two that could be joined. Should they be exactly level? My garage floor slopes so melted snow from cars drains out. I could mark the floor, use my laser and make the tables level if necessary.

Any other ideas to get ready for the wings? Thanks.

I would suggest to build one more (longer) table for flaps. Very convenient makes your life easier. You already have two tables join them while working on wing longerons. You don't need to level tables with the floor. You need to level your wing jigs later which is easy. My floor had a good slope too.

Two EAA benches

DSC_0005.jpg

Flaps table

flaptable.jpg

Wing jig/stands

DSC_0043.jpg

Good to Go

Your wing jig and two tables should be sufficient until the point where you build flaps and ailerons. No need to level the tables or jig. You do need to make it square to itself though, removing any twist or sag from the wing.

I've done all wing work so far on this jig. My garage floor slopes about 6". Been working on them for 5 weeks, just finished top skins today!(took off from work for a week over the fourth)

For the ailerons and flabs, I built a 2' x 8' table top from 3/4" plywood and five 2x4's, it is perfecty flat. I am going to set it on top my two existing tables, shim as necessarry, etc. this will be my flat surface.

2d0l1qv.jpg

10gid0g.jpg

2r4o96r.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the info and pictures. Looks like Im good for tables. I may build an 8'-10' for the flaps. That will give me a bit of extra room on the ends and another shelf under to store parts. Greg N gave sent me a wing kit list so I will start up the Brother Label machine and get ready.

I need to get to HF to pick up a couple more divided tray boxes, but the closest is 100 miles away in Grand Junction. There is a Cabalas in GJ and I have been looking at the Benelli Super Nova. Maybe a quick trip is in my future!

Vlad

Hey, I have never seen an apartment in NY that looks like that! HaHa!
If you work for food, I will have to have you out here in Colorado to help get my plane built. After all, we may be related. One of my grandmothers was born in Kiev. I really enjoy reading your travel posts. I am amazed how many hours you put on your plane this past year. What fun.

Back