What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

building space?

I am new to this and am very interested in an RV10. I am currently taking flight lessons and know that if I start now it will be a couple of years before the plane would be ready to use. My question is on space needed to build the plane. I have a detatched shop that is empty. It has a 9ft ceiling and is 27ft wide and 46ft deep. on looking at the dimensions of the plane it looks like that would barely be large enough to put it together. My real problem is I only have a one car garage door into the shop 107in wide by 83.5in tall. With the fusalage put together will the wheels fit through that wide or will the tail fit through it to get it out? Would I need to first have some demolition done and put in a two car door before even starting on it?

I have never done anything like this before and I don't have special mechanical skills or building skills but I am not afraid to learn and to try. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Floyd

Sounds like you are going to have the space you need. Keep in mind, you really are only going to have the wings on in the shop for fitting. Thats a one day event. As far as the door opening.... I'll measure when I get to the hangar tommarrow and see what the fuse width is on our 'training gear'.

Start getting the shop ready, buy as many tools as you can afford, get air plumbed... and get to building! :)

Nick
Friendswood TX
Getting ready to put the "Top" on. :eek:

Door is too low----------

But that doesnt matter----------as with the wings, you can fit the tail to the fuse, and do the misc needed work there, then remove it for later attachment when you are ready.

Good luck, you picked a winner!!

Mike

Thanks for your help. I would think that I could push down on the tail to get the vertical fin through but I think that the horizontal stab is too wide. I was wondering how wide it was to see if it would be possible to get the front part of the body out the door and then push down on the tail and turn it to the side to squeeze it out. I would prefer to do all that I can at home before it take it to a hanger. So I was hoping to connect the tail at home.
Thanks
Floyd

Dimensions

Floyd, I think its safe to say you've got more space than quite a few -10 builders out there. My wife and I are building in a 2 car garage (18'x20') with 8' ceilings. If we had our way though, the ceilings would be higher. Otherwise, it hasn't been a problem so far (but we're only on the wings right now) Most builders don't do final assembly of the plane until it's moved to the airport so having the ability to roll it out of your shop wings attached isn't a requirement.

Tim Olson has some excellent info on his website regarding a lot of things on the RV-10. For your particular question check out this page:
http://www.myrv10.com/tips/workarea.html
It has most, if not all, of the relevant dimensions you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Low time + high performance RV10

= monsterous insurance cost.

But I'm sure you know this already?

Only reason I ask is if you havent looked into this aspect you are likely in for a shock.

Cheers

Frank

mark:
Thanks for the measurments that helps
Frank:
I don't plan on flying it for a couple of years as it will probably take that long to get it done. I also plan on getting Priviate lic. and then go on for the Instrument rating and then the complex plan certificate. By the time those are completed I would guess I would have over 200 hours and if that is not enough I will just pay the insurance until the hours are up to the point that they are happier with.
Thanks for the help
Floyd

Thats cool

I only mention it because I had a sport pilot all hot to trot to buy my old Zenair Zodiac...He almost bought it and then got a quote for $6200 per year....OUCH!

RV10's represent 3 times the passenger liability and of course they are much costlier to replace, hence insurance is more expensive....

Some folks don't realise this I think...

All the best and the best sized shop is about 80*100 feet...:)

Frank

Back