What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building Dilemma

jthocker

Well Known Member
Finally, after 1 1/2 years with no airplane project in the basement, my RV12 kit arrived yesterday (1-28-10). After picking the tail kit up at the ABF freight facility and dropping the crate off at home, I proceeded to the University of Cincinnati, in downtown Cincinnati, to have lunch with my freshman son. After lunch, I went over to a friends house to help him get started on his RV8 tail kit. Four hours later, with his HS skeleton taking shape, I felt I could take "the training wheels off", and let Dave proceed on his own. The crate and dinner was waiting at home! A call to my new building partner, to alert him that we were ready to start, as soon as he and his Dad could get here, happened as soon as I hit the door at home.
My new partner is my 11 year old nephew Bruce. He lives almost next door. He is extremely mechanically inclined, much like my son was 8 years ago.

8 years ago, I was in the middle of an RV6A project. A project that didn't lend itself as well to a 9 and 11 year olds (my son and daughter) help, other than clecoing. I was also a Cub Scout leader, and dutifully had meetings every weekend in my basement. I volunteered to have meetings at my home, thinking that an airplane project might provide an inspirational spark to some kid. Time will tell if that actually happened.
Now comes the RV12. A kit that looks to me, like it would be so easy to build even a Caveman could do it, or maybe an 11 year old? At 9pm, I sent Bruce home after we had unpacked the kit and thrown all the packing paper away. My sister in law informed me this morning that Bruce was bubbling with excitement over the project as he left for school.
Here's my dilemma, Bruce and his family are going skiing for the weekend.
I on the other hand, have read about 25 Bernard Cornwell books this year and could use a break from Wellington and Napoleon, Archers, Knights, and Men at Arms.
Bruce told me last night before he left, that it would be OK if I got started this weekend while he was gone. As I look and marvel at the plans and parts, I can't help but think that I might have a good percentage of the tail done this weekend.
So, I've decided to head back out to the airport and our hangar, and help with the RV8 projects out there, and also see if Wellington and Richard Sharpe can finish off The Emperor! The RV12 will have to wait until Monday, after school.

Last edited:
I also have an 11 year old boy that lives down the street from me, he acts as my co-pilot in my RV-4 and #1 building partner. The things he learns in my shop goes far and above what he learns playing video games. His grades in school have gone from "not so good" to Head of the class! His parents and teachers want to know what I'm doing and how I'm doing it! He built a good portion of the first RV-12 and he wants to build more on the second one. What I'm saying is, Wait for the boy, you won't regret it! We need more young kids to get involved with avaition.

You did a very nice thing for him. A very good decision, and your "partner" will appreciate being able to help with the entire kit.

I have a similar dilemma Jon - Louise and I are building the -3 together, but she spends several nights a week up at work, and it is hard not to go out and build the plane when I have a free evening. Of course, the Valkyrie is sitting thee right next to the fuselage jig, so it's easy to just go flying instead.....:)

At age 13, I was taken under the wing of an FBO with some rebuildable Cubs, and life has never been the same since - getting young people involved in aviation is the best way we have of building the future!

Paul

Jon,
That's awesome! My own kids (9 & 12) have absolutely zero interest in my project--at least for now. Maybe once I have something they can sit in they'll become more interested. However, they both like going to Oshkosh so maybe there's hope. :D

Jon: Nice post. You may need a break from Napolean and Wellington for a while, but might enjoy Patrick O'Brian's series about a British Captain and a surgeon who became good friends. The Aubrey-Maturin novels were called the finest historical novels ever written by a New York Times Review writer. If you haven't read them I can't recommend them too highly! Have fun with the -12. Bill

Jon: Nice post. You may need a break from Napoleon and Wellington for a while, but might enjoy Patrick O'Brian's series about a British Captain and a surgeon who became good friends. The Aubrey-Maturin novels were called the finest historical novels ever written by a New York Times Review writer. If you haven't read them I can't recommend them too highly! Have fun with the -12. Bill

Hi Bill,
I started on the O'Brian series about 8 years ago, and complained to my First Officer that the dialog was tough to follow. He suggested the Hornblower series, by C.F. Forrester. I loved them and read the whole series.
Then I went back to the O'Brian series, after reading that whole series, I've become somewhat of a literary snob, if you will. I can't get enthused by Clancy, Cussler, and Crichton. Now I'm into historical fiction and brilliant dialog. The Cornwell books are almost as good as the O'Brian books.

On a historical fiction note, if anyone is interested, 2 books by Jeff Shaara that I found fantastic are "Rise to Rebellion" and "The Glorious Cause". They chronicle our young nation from the "Boston Massacre" to the end of the Revolutionary War.

RV12 update............. I took the blue plastic off all the ribs and spars, a pretty good weekends work, eh!:D

It is great that he is interested, and great that you are involving him. Keep him involved, and save the fun stuff for him. Kinda like "pay it forward". He might be helping you out before you know it.

I'm with Todd

My teenage boys all bragg to there friends how they are building A plane. But when it comes to the work they are nowhere to be found.

But I Apreciate the time they spend And know it's a memory they'll never forget.

Slow down!

Bruce told me last night before he left, that it would be OK if I got started this weekend while he was gone. As I look and marvel at the plans and parts, I can't help but think that I might have a good percentage of the tail done this weekend.

Judgeing by the rate of completion of your previous projects and the ease of construction you claim for the RV-12, you might have the plane ready to fly by the time the kid gets back on Monday! ;)

Thanks for the workshop tour

I had the privilege of a personal tour of the "Mutha" of all workshops yesterday and Jon's organization and attention to detail are remarkable. I am lucky enough to live within striking distance of his shop and look forward to checking on the progress over the next few months (if it takes that long...)

-Tuna
(another CincyRiverRat)

(Jon was also a great help and resource during the search and purchase of my own RV6A and is a true asset to the RV community.)

Update

Well it's Sat. afternoon and my helper just left. we put in about 5 hours today. For the week, Bruce and I worked together about 17-18 hrs, spread over 5 working sessions. I probably worked an additional 4-6 doing prep. stuff and deburring, fluting, etc.
We have completed the Vertical stabilizer, the rudder, the anti servo tabs, and the horizontal stabilator.

I continue to be amazed at my nephews attention span, and his grasp of the processes involved. For instance, the anti servo tab has a control horn flush riveted on to an outboard rib with AN4263-3.5's. The plans call for riveting the rib to the skin, then later attaching the horn. I was looking at the plans and wondering why I couldn't rivet the horn on first, after all it would be easier to squeeze those rivets without the skin hanging in the way.
Bruce then pointed out that, the joggle on the control horn would prevent easy access to riveting the rib if we strayed from the directions. Good catch Bruce!!
Once I showed Bruce how to decode AN bolt, nut and washer nomenclature, I assigned him the task of finding the hardware, then installing the stabilator hinge brackets, while I pulled a gazillion blind rivets in the skin of the stabilator.

As for the RV12 kit, it is absolutely, nothing short of amazing! I have been involved since the early days of the RV4, and have been a little peeved about the comments over the years about how "archaic" the plans and directions were. I have always thought those plans were and are very good mechanical drawings. All the information you would need to build the airplane from scratch was available on those drawings. If you understand mechanical drawings, the info was always there........somewhere! Other than making a couple of lefts or rights when I needed one of each, I don't believe I ordered any replacement parts for my original RV4.
Now with the RV12 kit I'm having a blast putting it together, "J.F.T.D." (Just Follow The Directions), the hardest part is taking all the blue stuff off!

I would highly recommend this as a Parent/Child project, with 10-12 years old being the sweet spot.

I just have to put in my two cents worth.

My main reason for me to build a kit plane is the because of my connection with my father, he was a aircraft mechanic. He started back in 1947 and he always would take me to air shows and to work and we would build airplane models together but unfortunately I lost him to cancer before we had a chance to start the life long dream of building a kit together.

So I am not going to let history repeat it's self and I am not going to put off things and I am going to start the project with my little girl by making it a game and hopefully she will love aviation as much as I do.

Time will tell.

Back