What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building assistance

Billythekid

Well Known Member
As I work on my kit I have talked to a engineer who will remain unnamed, he put the question in my head to see if there's any small shops that build rv in my area. That said this is a casting call to see if there is such a outfit in Southern California,more like San Diego. My local eaa...eh😕. I have one shop that I have spoken to and I think they are competent,however shopping around is wise..vans universe please reply. I will not learn if I don't ask questions.

"small shops that build"???
As you must be aware, you must build 51% or more of the plane. You could ask Vans how much of the 49% they have already done. That would tell you how much you could legally farm out.

The shop I spoke with mentioned I would be working On the plane my self and they're assistance would be present when needed. It seem as the negotiations may be a work in progress,as to how it would work. I will call vans and ask em .

After reading the preview plans I retract from the floor the notion of building with any outfit or business for the benefit of the rule of law and conscience.

Build shop

Their is a small shop that Vans uses in the Philippines that's builds up the aircraft to "quick build" stage. I don't see a problem having any body else build the aircraft up to that point and still maintaining the 51% rule. Apparently the FAA DOESNT care if it's non US citizens or US citizens preparing up to that rule.

But vans has faa approval to sell the kit in that stage. Anyone else doing it would have to have a similar approval if I understand the rules correctly.

Building an rv is not a short cut to a flying airplane. It is a huge commitment in effort that will hijack your life for a big chunk of the ime. You have to want to build for the adventure of doing it. If you just want somebody else to build your plane so you can fly it then that's fine. Go buy a flying RV. No shame in that.

As I work on my kit I have talked to a engineer who will remain unnamed, he put the question in my head to see if there's any small shops that build rv in my area...

Here's the thing: The shop rate for anybody you'd actually be able to trust to do the work right is going to be around $60/hr. Given that most slow-build RV's run around 2500 hours, that makes it a $75000 proposition to get halfway there, and by that time you're well beyond questionable territory regarding the "major portion" rules.

If you think that this might be what it takes to get you to done, I would strongly recommend that you just sell your slow-build and switch to a quick-build kit.

Thanks, Bob K.

Back