What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders please!

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I’ve experienced my MP sensor reading high. After several attempts to recalibrate it in the aircraft with tech support I’ve had to return it to GRT for servicing and recalibration.

Here’s my plea. Builders please think seriously about long term servicing issues during your build. The original builder (I’m the second owner) installed the MP sensor under the panel in a near impossible to reach location. Additionally he didn’t leave enough wire nor manifold pressure tubing to relocate the sensor. I’m pretty sure (from talking to a builder friend) the original owner probably installed the sensor when he was installing the panel and before the panel cover was installed.

I had to have a young flexible individual, after removing the CP stick, seats and center console, spend approximately four hour upside down under my panel twisted in an unbelievable position to remove the two bolts and nuts thatt attach the sensor to the panel’s frame. Unbelievable! I’d cuss the builder but he’s has already passed away.

So please consider long term servicing when make build component placement and attachment decisions. Use nut plates as much as you can - especially where access is limited. Avoid locations that require people to be a contortionist to access or at least install access panels. Plan ahead!

Good thing you have the 7. I just spent a few hours in the forward footwell of the -8 modifying the rudder position. These are Vans stock parts too. I still have a cut on the shoulder and some bruising on the side torso to remember the experience. I chalk it up for aircraft maintenance.

you guys have clearly never had to change the hydraulic filters up in the **** hole on a Citation 3. I believe they started with those wretched things and then built the entire fuselage around them.

Note- you evidently cant say h-e- double-hockey-sticks on this forum or it changes it to asterisks, who knew?

Last edited:
yup, but I think I spelled it as two words, not one. I had no idea that as a feature on this forum. That explains a lot of the civility on here :)

Yep, there are plenty of aircraft that appear to have been assembled around that one component which is impossible to reach. I always believed Cessna employed Mexican dwarfs and mutants during the 1970's when they were at the height of production, because you need to be double-jointed with extra long arms to get to some iitems. It also helps to have your eyeballs on the tips of your fingers. The nicest machine to work on is the AS350 series helicopters - everything is accessible.

On my RV-6 nutplates were used extensively and especially on the firewall where there is not a single bolt with a nut on the back that would require a second person to be present for disassembly. Yes, it took more effort to build it that way however as an engineer I wanted my maintenance to be quick, easy and enjoyable. Small things like this pay big dividends later in the life of the aircraft.

Back