What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders' motivation day

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
The Minn. wing of Van's Airforce occasionally has a builders' motivation day in which guys who've built RVs give rides to people who are building RVs.

What do you all think about organizing a NATIONAL builders' motivation day. I'd be willing to set up a database or something of willing flyers, and wanting builders and try to match people up.

It could be a real fun day.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me!

Man, I'd love to get a ride in an RV-8!

Either in Louisville (work) or NYC (home) :)

Brad

Make it a weekend

Make it a whole weekend instead of just a day. Can't give enough rides in just one day. (that's my 2 cents) But I like the idea of making it national, or why not worldwide?

Get Van's to post it on their site as well.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

First step I guess is to come up with a day, and then start collecting who can offer the rides, and match up the folks who want 'em.

Is there a liability issue here?

Sounds like a great idea to me. Surprisingly, I have yet to fly in one of these birds. I sure hope the almost 1200 hours I've put into it so far are worth it. ;)

Davepar said:
Sounds like a great idea to me. Surprisingly, I have yet to fly in one of these birds. I sure hope the almost 1200 hours I've put into it so far are worth it. ;)

Dave, Dave, Dave... you live three hours from Van's and no ride yet??? Get down there. They'll give you one. Even if it's only 20 minutes long, it's pretty cool.

I think it would be a good idea to match up builders with completed planes as well. My demo ride has been my only opportunity to date.

Steve

Dave-

That makes me feel better! :D I'm partway into the wings and have never ridden in an -8 yet (rode in a -6 1y ago)!

Thomas
-8 wings

Sounds like a great idea!

I'm sure there are a lot of builders out there like my son and I that have never ridden in an RV of any kind. We are just getting started and have the tail kit in hand and would jump at an opportunity for a ride. Motivation is always good! :)

Davepar said:

Dave:

I'm based out of PAE and I'll give you a ride in my -4. I'm busy this weekend but after that it opens up for me a bit.

Chuck

Thanks for the offer Chuck. Andy Karmy offered a ride in his 9A. He's a bit closer, so I'll go with him.

I did drive down to Van's for a factory tour right before Thanksgiving last year. The weather was crummy, so I didn't ask for a demo flight. Plus the employees were lining up for a lunch feast. The 3.5 hour drive is fairly close, but getting down there on a weekday is a little difficult for me.

Hey, sounds good to me.

I did manage a ride in a 7a (see my post under 'Midwest', 'Looking for a Grin'), but my heart is set on an 8/8a and would really love to sit in one to check for fit/room. I say sit in one because I'm fairly certain that as GIB my 6'2" 260+ lbs would bust most any 8/8a CG limits unless it was using a lead prop! :eek:

Back