What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders Log Question

Bob Ross

I am a first time builder just about to start building the RV12 empennage. Will the FAA accept the use of a software based builders log or is a paper logbook required? I have been considering using the KitLog Pro software.

Thanks Bob

I'm quite sure the FAA doesn't care whether your log is handwritten or printed, as long as it is legible. Maybe Mel can weigh in on this from the DAR perspective. I have been using KitLog and it works well for me. See: http://www.mykitlog.com/BigJohn/

The only knock I have heard on the product is that only 3 pictures are allowed per entry. Usually that's plenty for me, but if you want more you can aleays put in two entries.

Welcome to the club. Hope you enjoy building as much as I have.

My DAR wanted to see a copy of my log. When I told him I didn't have a paper copy but could burn him a CD with my 1) website (KitLog wasn't around when I started but I created a web log) and 2) my KitLog files plus pictures for the last couple of years of the build, he was satisfied. Same when I went to the FSDO for my repairman's certificate; in fact, they went out of their way to say they really loved all the pictures.

In fact, if there's anything I'd like to see added to Kitlog, it would be a log reader program (kinda like the PowerPoint reader MS has) so I could bundle it with my log database and someone who doesn't have KitLog could still see my logs.

Last edited:
Builder's Log

Since there is no 51% rule for the ELSA there is no requirement to prove you did the majority of the work, which is the purpose of a builder's log. I don't keep one because it is not required.

In fact, if there's anything I'd like to see added to Kitlog, it would be a log reader program (kinda like the PowerPoint reader MS has) so I could bundle it with my log database and someone who doesn't have KitLog could still see my logs.

Kitlog can produce a report in pdf, html, and several MS formats. I routinely create a PDF for archival purposes as well as a hardcopy that I keep in a binder.

As BigJohn mentioned, most don't care about the format the logs are kept. I've seen something as minimal as hand written dates and comments on the plans get accepted. The only caveat is that you may get asked more questions about the build depending on the quality of documenting the build and your participation.

I used Kitlog as well. It's not perfect, but it's pretty easy to use. As mentioned there is the three picture limitation and there is a limit on the length of text per entry. The work around is to use multiple entries.

With ELSA, a builder's log, per se, is not required. However, you must be able to show that the plans and instructions were followed verbatim.

Log not required

I agree with JohnF that a log is not required for an E-LSA. A log is only required for E-AB. The purpose of a log is to prove that an Experimental-Amateur Built was more than half constructed by amateurs. Since an E-LSA does not have to be built by amateurs and can be legally built by professionals, no log is required. However, I like to keep my options open, so I wrote the date on the plans as I completed each step. And I also took pictures periodically. I intend to register as E-LSA, but could register as E-AB if desired and if the RV-12 kit is determined to be eligible.
Joe

I like to keep my options open, so I wrote the date on the plans as I completed each step. And I also took pictures periodically. I intend to register as E-LSA, but could register as E-AB if desired and if the RV-12 kit is determined to be eligible.
Joe

Joe has a very good point here. It's always good to keep your options open.
A small point; if you somehow make a change that takes the aircraft out of light-sport parameters and you have it certificated as amateur-built, your airworthiness certificate would not be invalid.

logging my work in the plans

I'm just annotating in the margins of Van's plans as I build. I mark off each paragraph as I complete it and also put down the date and any other issues or items I need to work on. I'm also taking various progress pictures along the way and uploading them to my web pages. I add captions to the pictures that describe what was done.

One thing I'm not doing is keeping track of my hours spent on the project. It is not a race.

Bob,

Welcome to the group. Lots of nice people always ready to lend a hand. I kept my log on the FREE blogspot.com. Easy to use.

Kitlog restrictions

Another comment on Kitlog. The picture and text limirtations have already been mentioned, as has the workaround to add another page. The problem I find is if you add multiple entries for each day they don't display in the sequence they were keyed in. I suppose you can mess around with the index keys to make it do what you want...

Cheers...Keith

www.mykitlog.com/grmps

Many Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's input of the use of the KitLog Pro software. It looks like a good fit for my purposes. I have placed the program on order.

I am looking forward to participating in this forum.

Using blogspot for Builder's log

Bob,

Welcome to the group. Lots of nice people always ready to lend a hand. I kept my log on the FREE blogspot.com. Easy to use.

blogspot.com has a nice feature where you can set the time for posting at the bottom of the post. When you have multiple entries for a single day, they will be in reverse order.:confused: By setting the time for posting, you can set a delay and they will post in correct (non-inverse) order.:D

Builders Log

We haven't been doing a very technical log; we've put dates beside the steps that we've completed and taking photos as we go.
Meade and George

Back