What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders Log format suggestions needed

Buzz J

I'm a newbie, now building an RV-12. Anyone have a recommendation for a builder's log format? Best on paper or I there a simple app that will do the job? I appreciate any help you might give!

Buzz J

From the minimalist standpoint, one way is:

Spiral binder. Make columns for Date, Time, Cost, Description.
Use a camera and store photos that are filenamed by date.

Keep the binder and the camera in the shop. Get as many pics as you can with YOU in the image.

Last edited:
I found Kitlog Pro easy to use. When the project was done, print it out and put in 3 ring binder for the inspector to refer to. The FSDO inspector that did my plane inspection spent a fair amount of time flipping through the book.

I recommend simple handwritten notations in a notebook that include date and description of the task. I started transcribing mine into a Word Document but wish I'd have used an Excel Spreadsheet to automatically add my hours. Either way, one can insert photos that correspond with the entry.

BTW, if you go the electronic route, I suggest you regularly print your updates and back the file-up in more than one location. I lost part of an electronic build log once and it was a pain to reconstruct. Printed copies would have sufficed and backups would have avoided the hassle as well.

Good luck.

excel

Buzz,

I just used excel in a very simple format that listed the pages worked pictures comments/notes and time and date. The time was totaled on the top row for a running total of build time.

I built my 12 as a EAB and did not have any issues with the DAR. He like the documentation and that it coincided with the pages of the plans

Send me your email address and send you a copy.

Enjoy the build and take lots of pictures

Another easy option

Being too cheap and lazy to get any kind of special app, I just put a log together with MS Word using the table function. You can drop jpg photos right into a table cell and resize them to suit. I set mine up 17'' wide by 11" high (i.e., "B" size). Dump it onto a flash drive and have it printed out at Office Staples Depot Max, then at the end of the build either add the pages right into the existing assembly manual or create another in the same format...or just leave it as strictly digital. I happen to have MS Office for Mac, so that makes the file portable between Mac and PC without having to create a pdf.

The downside: I think it's a little fiddle-intensive, but since I don't have any other method to compare, maybe it really isn't.

So far I'm enjoying my -12 build so much it might be illegal. Hope you have as much fun with yours!

Consider this. E-LSA you do not need 51% documentation. But for either E-LSA or EAB let the PLANS be your major documentation! Check off each step on each page when complete. This is a good practice anyway. As you complete a page, sign and date each page. Keep an excel spreadsheet with just your hours each day and the plans section you are working on, and maybe a few daily notes. Like if anyone helped you. You can then easily add up the hours you spend on each subkit. Take a bunch of pics, and the sum of all that is excellent documentation for either E-LSA or EAB!

I'm using Kitlog Pro for my formal documentation and then doing a blog for family and friends. More work, but is working out well.

Jim

Drop the blog

I'm using Kitlog Pro for my formal documentation and then doing a blog for family and friends. More work, but is working out well.

Jim

Why not just give your kitlog website address to your friends and spend that blog time on the plane? I used to enjoy updating my progress each day into mykitlog; but after 600 hours of building it has become a chore, I'd rather spend that time building than typing:(

Another viewpoint

As mentioned above, the 51% rule does not apply to an ELSA. I began my -12 project thinking to keep the build log to the very barest minimum since nothing more was required. However, I received some wise advice from my Tech Counselor to the effect that it would be a good idea to create documentation that met the 'proof of 51%' format, just on the outside chance that for any reason I would want to switch to EAB at some point. No telling what kind of irresistible gadgets might come on the market before the plane flies.

I still have no intention to pursue anything other than ELSA, but since my crystal ball is down for overhaul I'm following that advice from one who has been there a couple times.

Call it a belt-and-suspenders thing...FWIW.

I'm a newbie, now building an RV-12. Anyone have a recommendation for a builder's log format? Best on paper or I there a simple app that will do the job? I appreciate any help you might give!

Buzz J
Whatever works best to be able to find notes and details down the road for issues that may come up later.

Why not just give your kitlog website address to your friends and spend that blog time on the plane? I used to enjoy updating my progress each day into mykitlog; but after 600 hours of building it has become a chore, I'd rather spend that time building than typing:(

I actually give most folks both addresses. However, I keep the Kitlog to "just the facts" where as the blog can have more human interest stuff for family and friends. It wouldn't surprise me if at the 600 hr. point it'll become a chore for me as well. :(

Jom

While I keep notes on dates, times and procedures in a paper notebook and occasionally write in a blog, I think my favorite log habit is to take photos with my Android phone and instantly upload them to my Picasa album. It's automatically dated & backed up online, and a simple caption on the photo tells most of the story! And I can import the photos quickly into my Google blog when I feel like writing a novel, or quickly share them here on VAF. (see the link in my signature.)

I am thankful for Tony Spicer's detailed written and photographic build log--it is a precious resource for helping me put his airplane back together. :eek:

Back