What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders Log for Cowl?

Phil

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a good site that profiles the entire cowl fitting process?

These first few cuts have me confused and scared. I'd like to see a detailed build log to put my mind at ease.

Phil

Does anyone know of a good site that profiles the entire cowl fitting process?

These first few cuts have me confused and scared. I'd like to see a detailed build log to put my mind at ease.

Phil

My log on those sections aren't very verbose. I made several mistakes that I'm fixing now. I found those directions confusing too. My forward, outboard corners don't fit well because of how I did the first cut. I'm recontructing them this week.

Also, I would use a 1/4" spacer instead of the 1/8" spacer called for in the plans. What I didn't realize was the tension i had place on the spacer.. When I removed them them top didn't have enough clearance. If I used 1/4" spacer, the gap would just be about right.

I'll be visiting Brad at sheppard and flying with Alex this weekend. Too bad you weren't closer, or I would stop by.

Bob

My log on those sections aren't very verbose. I made several mistakes that I'm fixing now. I found those directions confusing too. My forward, outboard corners don't fit well because of how I did the first cut. I'm recontructing them this week.

That's what I was afraid of.

Also, I would use a 1/4" spacer instead of the 1/8" spacer called for in the plans. What I didn't realize was the tension i had place on the spacer.. When I removed them them top didn't have enough clearance. If I used 1/4" spacer, the gap would just be about right.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's a good point.

I'll be visiting Brad at sheppard and flying with Alex this weekend. Too bad you weren't closer, or I would stop by.

If you come on down, I'll have a steak ready for you and Janice.

Last edited:
Do you guys have an older pink cowl or one of the newer grey ones? Mine is grey and looks to be almost blemish free on the outside. I'm actually optimistic I wont have to spent much time finishing the exterior surface compared to the pink parts.

Pink cowl primed gray from Vans. It looks nice at first glance, but they're pretty rough when you really start crawling around it. It's going to take quite a bit of filler.

Right now, I'm still worried about these first few cuts. :confused:

Phil

About to start on the cowl myself. Don't see what the problem is - looks like a piece of cake ..... :eek:

Do you guys have an older pink cowl or one of the newer grey ones? Mine is grey and looks to be almost blemish free on the outside. I'm actually optimistic I wont have to spent much time finishing the exterior surface compared to the pink parts.

I have the gray, but as Phil mentioned, it's far from perfect. It is better then it's predecessors. Mine is modified with the cowl,pin covers and a ram air mod, so I'm spending some quality time in finishing the cowl.

Bob

Back