What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Sequence Question

Bob Ross

Dear Fellow RV12ers:

I am a bit confused about the order of assembly in section 32 of the manual. I understand that the wings must be attached to align and drill the flaperon torque tubes. The wings may then be removed.

But......is it assumed that the stabilator and vertical stabilizer are already attached before starting section 32?? If so, where were we instructed to attach them??:confused:

Bob

Hi Bob,

That was done way back in the empennage section 11. I guess like a lot of us you didn't do it then as it was easier to store the bits broken down.

I installed my wings before attaching the tailcone as I thought it would be easier to drill the torque rods. I did not discover any problem doing it this way, but you will find builders have done it all different ways and know real reports of problems.

Cheers

Julian RV120316

Question

I attached the tailcone but not the tail feathers. I plan to install the wings and empennage at the airport as I don't have the room in the workshop. I have a questions for those who have been through the rigging: how much of the finishing kit can I still perform in my workshop, waiting as late as possible for the move to the airport hangar? I have not received the instructions for the finishing kit, hence my question.

I have a single garage to work on and store the RV12 in. I have a double garage adajecent to the single where I try to keep on space for the wifes car.

It does become a bit tricky at this stage when you want to attach things. That is one of the reasons I chose the 12 as I felt I could maxamize the time before I need to go to an airport.

I attached the wings for half a day and did all the work required. I had a bit of filing to do and you need to install the torque rods. I think it would be easier to do it now than once you have installed the turtle deck skins. I moved everything outside to do this step with just my wifes help. But I am sure (think) you could do it later if you had to.

I should really figure out how to put pictures on here. For my back wings and tail I built a plywood attachement to the garage with the crates supplied for this purpose. This leaves the fuselarge in the garage and a box attached to the garage with the rear in it. I can (I hope) unscrew the ply and pull the plane out.

This has allowed me to run and attach the rigging cables. I guess that could be left to later if you had to. The next advantage of building a 12 is that you can load it on the trailor and take it to the airport with the back wing on. Depending on how brave you are!

Julian 120316

Back