What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Fuselage before Wings?

Andy Hill

Well Known Member
Dear all...

Numerous advice re when building RV-3, to ensure Fuselage Rear Spar attachment is at correct distance from Main Spar for wings, and that advice extending to delaying Fuselage build until the Wings are ready (or for QB, delivered).

For various reasons, it is going to be much easier / quicker to build our Fuselage first, before the (SB) Wings.

Are there any problems one can foresee doing this, assuming we reverse the above process, and ensure when building the wings, the dimensions match that of the Fuselage? I would not think it too difficult to make up wood plugs / patterns to transfer from Fuselage to Wing Jig?

Thanks in advance... and Happy New Year :)

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ flying, RV-3B building slowly

Check with Vans or others who have built before to be sure, but I think if you do it in the "traditional" order, there are some parts that come with the wing kit that you'll need to complete the fuselage... The center spar carry-through comes to mind. You wouldn't want to be trying to rivet that in after you've completed the rest of the fuselage, i'd think.

This may only apply to the larger and/or newer RV's, not the -3, but check with Vans to be sure. They'll know.

Andy,

All the adjustment is in the rear spar carry-thru in the fuselage. There is no adjustment available in the wing. Being off by a very small amount could lead to a very large disappointment on your part.

I ran into Van at Oshkosh the summer I started my -3. Asked him who I should ask for when I called with a build question. He said it didn't make any difference who I talked to, as nobody there had any RV-3 experience.

Is the -3 worth all the aggravation? You betcha!

Tony

Rob - thanks for that, however we do have both Wing and Fus kits.

Tony - thanks again... eMail on the way.

Having just adjusted out fuselage to match our wings, I think I'd have to advise wings first Andy. Adjusting the front to rear spar distance in the fuselage was very simple, since you only have to shim (or not) the outside seat ribs - the inside ones have no flanges on the front, so you just drill them to the angles on the center section where they fall.

Adjusting the forward/after spar distance on the wings, hmmm....change ALL the wing ribs? Haven't done it, just did the thought experiment and said to myself that I was glad I didn't have to face that....

Paul

Thanks for the above... all understood, and build sequence amended :eek: Spent yesterday setting up the wing build workshop which looks like it can be insulated more easily than I thought (was trying to delay wing building until the summer).

Andy

Back