What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Bench Height Reduction

Topturn

It won't be long until I'm starting on the fuselage kit and am now considering cutting my build benches down for easier access to the fuselage as I work on it probably on it's side fitting the various fuel lines etc. I'm wondering what the ideal height is from floor to counter top to do this?

I'm also thinking it would be good to be able to use the benches in the future at full'ish height so am thinking of cutting the legs down but mating them together with nuts and bolts unless anyone else can suggest an alternative?

Totally agree

Jason, build your work benches to the height that you select for building the fuselage. Then use bolt on extensions while building the wings and empennage.

I put far too much engineering, resources, and time into 3 'adjustable height' benches. Should have built them to the height that is needed for the fuselage and added bolt-on leg extensions (easy and efficient), :cool:

Don't bother

Jason,

I used the same bench height for the fuselage as I had used for the empennage/wings. It wasn't a problem, and now I have benches that can be used for the next project ;-) I'm 5'10", I have "matured" from 5'11".

Cheers...Keith

Jason,

I used the same bench height for the fuselage as I had used for the empennage/wings. It wasn't a problem, and now I have benches that can be used for the next project ;-) I'm 5'10", I have "matured" from 5'11".

Cheers...Keith

Keith, you just forgot to give the height of your benches, is it the standard EAA workbench?
Jean-Pierre

Interior color

Tony, what RAL colour is the interior? I like a lot for my plane.

I am watching your web page. Very good job.

Regards,
Jose Javier

Tony, what RAL colour is the interior? I like a lot for my plane.

I am watching your web page. Very good job.

Regards,
Jose Javier

Jose,
The paint used was a spraycan semigloss enamel product common in U.S. home improvement stores. It is a Rustoleum brand product and the color is "Granite". Rustoleum does not provide a RAL code for this paint (that I can find). I don't think the European RAL color charts are widely used in the U.S.

Tony

Jose,
The paint used was a spraycan semigloss enamel product common in U.S. home improvement stores. It is a Rustoleum brand product and the color is "Granite". Rustoleum does not provide a RAL code for this paint (that I can find). I don't think the European RAL color charts are widely used in the U.S.

Tony

Tony,

Did you use a primer before spraying the enamel? I've just started with the Fuse and am trying to decide about priming or painting the inside. Thanks.

Manny Enriquez

Tony,

Did you use a primer before spraying the enamel? I've just started with the Fuse and am trying to decide about priming or painting the inside. Thanks.

Manny Enriquez

Hi Manny,
The primer I used is the popular (RV-12 builders anyway) NAPA #7220. I first abraide and clean with scotchbrite and mineral spirits. So far it is proving to be a durable paint system for the interior. The rattlecan primers and paints are not the best way to go, however. Gasoline will take off the Rustoleum enamel, for example. A better way is to use an epoxy paint system, but I don't have the place or expertise to spray this kind of paint system. My exterior paint job was done by an aircraft paint shop and is a $$$ epoxy system, and worth the money.
There are many threads in the forum with all kinds of opinions by some expert people on painting. A quick search on interior painting will turn up a lot of hits.
I seem to have run this workbench thread too far off track :eek:.

Tony

Back