What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BSA Jamboree fly over

Flandy10

Well Known Member
On my way to visit my son at National Jamboree and today the Facebook page had a photo of a six ship Rv formation. My son said it looked pretty cool from the camp.

Who was it? Photo wasn't good enough to tell. The Summit is just north of Beckley,WV.

From AOPA's Facebook Page:

AOPA President Craig Fuller and colleagues brought general aviation to the 2013 Boy Scout Jamboree near Beckley, W.Va., Thursday with a formation fly-over led by AOPA's David Hirschman and a tent full of AOPA-Redbird Jay simulators -- inserting some necessary electronics into the scout's camping experience.
945157_10151502707731669_2112588316_n.jpg

My friend "Jolly" was was of the RV's with the smoke on.

6 Ship: Pablo (Dave Hirschman-AOPA), Claw, Lawbreaker, Jolly, Clogs, and Chef (me). We had a fun time today doing this. We flew down in formation with the AOPA Carivan. The AOPA folks maned a ground station at the Jamboree and we got to have the fun. We made four passes then headed home. Hopefully we inspired a few scouts to think about becoming pilots. Glad that AOPA has embraced RV's and I'm sure that having the Senior Editor for AOPA Magazine who owns one helps. A six ship of Cessnas just would not have looked as good plus anytime seeing smoke coming from a Cessna can't be good.

BSA / Aviation

Back in the spring, we did an aviation Camporee for the BSA groups at Sugar Valley airport in Mocksville NC.They have an aviator sponsored fire circle, and host many BSA campouts. The weekend featured some fly-by action with myself in my -4 and a friend in his Chipmunk as well as skydivers and best of all, the young eagles/EAA chapter put nearly 200 BSA's in the air over the course of the day! Check out the video on Sugar Valley airports FB page of the Camporee. I drove past the WVa event twice last week, but missed the fly-over.

Back