What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brunswick, St. Simons, Jekyll, Sea Island, Georgia

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
We flew down here Saturday (3-12-11) and landed at SSI airport on St. Simons Island just off the southeast corner of the Georgia mainland. Beautiful airport and great service by the line personnel and the FBO desk personnel. The airport is spotless. I saw an EAA chapter sign in/on a building right behind where we are parked. The prices in the area are very reasonable at this time, posibly reflecting tough economic times the whole country is experiencing. The food has been ok so far but not as good as in Charleston, SC a few years ago. We read about Jekyll Island in Pilot Getaways a few years ago and we are going out there Monday or Tuesday to see the dwellings of the rich and famous in the early years of the 20th century.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Jekyll....

....is one of my wife's favorite day trips and we were there yesterday for the fabulous Sunday brunch at the Jekyll Island Club (the big hotel) that housed the friends of all the rich and famous.

Their Sunday brunch is one to believe in! Crab legs, prime rib, roll your own omelets and a salad bar to die for....!

Best,

For Jekyll you can call ahead and rent a Red Bug motors car (beefed up golf cart) right at the airport. They will drive it over to your plane when you land. It is in my opinion the best way to get around the island. If you overnight there all of the hotels have charging stations.

We are back

We flew into St. Simons Island (SSI) airport from Fayetteville, Arkansas on Saturday 3-12-11 and flew home the following Friday. This was too much time to allocate to the area for a casual visit. By Tuesday my wife and I were talking of heading home and letting them keep the advance payment for the room. We decided to tough it out and I'm glad we did - it turned out to be a pleasant trip. The food we had in every restaurant we tried was average with one exception - the oyster stew at the Blue Water Cafe in the village near the pier at the south end of St. Simons Island - it was OUTSTANDING! I like seafood soup and I tried it at every restaurant and with the one exception it was all a disappointment and some were BAD. We took the trolly tour of St. Simons Island (once a day from the pier at $22 per person) conducted by a very nice fellow named Walter and enjoyed it. The history of the British estabilishing Georgia as the 13th colony of the original 13, the live oaks, Spanish moss, the rich and famous who vacationed in the area in the early 20th century, golf, fishing and religion were the main items discussed on the tour. The setting on the roads with the overhanging trees and Spanish moss was very attractive.

We drove everywhere we could, like across the spectacular bridge at the south end of Brunswick and highway 520 to Jekyll Island. There we took the island tram tour which was well done. We saw the Club and toured some of the homes there.

One day we drove to Savanah and took a tour of that city and on another we drove down to the coastal area of northern Florida.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back