What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken off ACS 264 ignition key... options

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Anyone have a solution? Key isn't fully broken but slightly twisted and most places say they won't touch it to cut a new one.

I know ACS has them but they're 10 weeks out

Anyone have a solution? Key isn't fully broken but slightly twisted and most places say they won't touch it to cut a new one.

I know ACS has them but they're 10 weeks out
Goto a local locksmith. We have a lock and safe small business here in Clermont. It is a basic filing cabinet key. Most locksmiths can read the depths and recreate it with minimal work. I would avoid the big box stores and they will just toss it in a machine.

Goto a local locksmith. We have a lock and safe small business here in Clermont. It is a basic filing cabinet key. Most locksmiths can read the depths and recreate it with minimal work. I would avoid the big box stores and they will just toss it in a machine.
That's the plan, once I get back in town

Maybe you can share the number that is on the key, perhaps someone has the matching number and can lend you a key till your replacement is ready.
I know I have got an spare one.

What he said. I took a 40 year old ignition key in and the guy made a new key in 5 minutes based on the depths and did not use the original to make a copy.

I lost the set of keys for my Andair locking gas caps somewhere in my build shop. When I moved the RV-10 to the airport for final assembly and fuel tank calibration, I called a local locksmith. He came out, picked the lock open, then took it to his shop and made new keys for me. Took a week or so because he had to order the blanks. He was not concerned about it being for an airplane. I did find the original set of keys last year when I sold the house and cleaned out the shop underneath a set of shelving. No locking gas caps on my RV-9A!

Most locksmiths can read the depths and recreate it with minimal work.
Agreed. A real locksmith, versus someone in paint department covering in hardware, can measure depths at positions and create one from scratch.

When you get the new one make a few copies. I have the one I use, one in the airframe logbook, one in the engine logbook and one hidden in an inspection cover for a lost key while away from home possibility.

I wonder how many keys would be found at Sun 'n Fun and Oshkosh camping areas with a metal detector.

Back