What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken hinge pin in cowl

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
This morning I went to the hanger to change the oil in my -4 and found I had a broken hinge pin. This pin is on the port side and holds the upper and lower cowl sections together. It is installed from the cockpit.

It was difficult to remove the broken section of pin and was only possible at all, because the pin failed near the intersection with the cheek piece. I was able to pry the cowl assembly away from the cheek piece and reach in with a pair of forceps.

k12hoz.jpg

Perhaps the pin broke at this location because it is an unsupported section. If it were to have broken within the length of hinge, I'm not sure how it could be removed. Initially, I tried to push the pin out from the front, but could not move it. It may be that the "chisel" point on the forward end jammed when I put another section of pin in from the front. It also may be that the broken end jammed as it tried to move from one eyelet to another.

Has anyone had a pin break within a length of hinge? And if so, how did you remove the pin?

Thanks,

Back