What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breaking the edges of the skins

scberry

Someone posted in the recent past a thread on the breaking of the edges of the skins and recommended a tool for this purpose. Is this process really necessary, and what does it accomplish?

I have,nt done this yet on my RV-12 but I noticed that the tailcone kit calls for it on the skins. Kindly, agian recomend the tool for this purpose and the source.

It is necessary if you want neat seams in those places specified in the plans as needing edge breaking. If you did not do it in those places you would likely have a gap where the skins overlap. I used the edge breaking tool by Cleveland Tool:

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EF60

Very easy to use and gives a nice result. Adjust it very lightly, it doesn't take much. Practice on a scrap first to get the hang of it.

The Cleveland tool is well worth the $$. It does a great job on a highly visible area of the plane. Even if you never use it again, buy it.

YES for the tailcone

Just to reiterate what Andy states above- it is absolutely necessary on the tailcone where the plans direct due to the tight curvature of the overlapping skins. Otherwise, you will end up with a very ugly gap. The only other place where I wish I had done it but the plans did not specify it is on the aft lower edge of the wing walk doubler.

Jeff

Back