What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breaking edges of wing skins

John-G

Well Known Member
Question for those of you that have completed their RV-12 wings ? would you suggest breaking the edges on the lower skins where they overlap the upper skins to ensure a tight fit? (Or all the overlaps for that matter). I?m at a point where it would be easy to do prior to priming.

I?m building my RV-12 as an E-AB so deviating from the plans is not an issue for me. I have the Cleveland edge tool so it would be quite easy to break the edges of the skins so curious if it is something builders would recommend doing.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply,

John
Dues paid

Breaking Wing Skin edges?

Instructions didn't call for breaking them.
I didn't do it. The joints are tight as can be.

If you do choose to break them, I'd do it just ever so slightly so that you don't end up with a crinkle or bulge on the inside of the curves at the leading edge.

I'm sure someone has done it and will tell you about their experience.

There have been earlier threads on this topic.

All the best!

What they said ^^^^^^^^^.

If the plans didn't call for it, I didn't 'break' the edges. Mine came out beautiful! Nice, tight, and exactly like I had hoped for.

Thanks for the replies guys

Since everybody that replied experienced tight fitting wing skins, I decided to pass on breaking the edges. I?m under a bit of a time crunch anyway ? trying to prep all wing skins for priming during what may likely be the last warm weekend of the year here.

John

Break wing skins - Last word (yah right! <grin>)

been recalling/thinking more about my experience with the Wing Skins...
Bottom Line(s):
1) Instructions don't call for breaking the edges of the wing skins and
2) I emphatically recommend against it based on my experience and the results I got along with many others who have commented.

I suspect the reasons it's not called for in the instructions have to do with the fact that the Wing Skins curve around the leading edge which causes a couple of problems (OK, challenges for those who want to do it anyway <grin>).

First, running a breaking tool around that curve is difficult in itself while trying to hold even pressure to get a uniform break,

Second, if break is not uniform you create an opportunity for the "broken(?)" wing skin edge to "kink" or ripple along the leading edge curve because the break is toward the inside of the curve which now has a slightly tighter radius than the rest of the skin,

Third, having tightened up the fit at the leading edge, you have subtracted those few thousandths of an inch from the rivet line leading aft. Those skins are a tight fit to begin with, and breaking the edges means you'll have to do even more "coaxing" with a couple of awls and extra hands to get the rivet holes lined up and clecoed.

3-cents worth,
Dave
-12 #121, slooow build, Wings in cradles, Emps on the wall, Fuse on the bench with Finish and Wiring in process.

Clear Skies!

Back