What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brakes

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Has anyone tested the brake system before final assembly? Just finished that section, just curious if there is anyway to bench test them now??

I would test them as soon as installed. I had problems with the fittings on 2 of the master cyls leaking. All 4 were assembled exactly the same, same thread lube, same torque, but 2 leaked.

leaking brake cylinders

Had the same leak problem. Used a high-tech sealer (don't know the name just now). Re-installed w/ permatex "2".....seems to have sealed this time.

brake cylinder leaking

I take that back. Did some taxi testing today....at least two of the fittings are still leaking.
Anybody experienced this problem?

The fittings are tight, but not" two fisted" tight.

Mike,

I had 5 of my fittings leaking... when I installed them into the masters didn't want to strip the threads so I didn't over tighten them, but in the end I had to go back and make one more revolutions on each of the leaking fittings.

-Ron

brake cylinder leaking

I used two different types of sealer, the first was something in a yellow tube (don't have details with me), the second was automotive equiv of Permatex 2.

I too worried about "stripping" the threads.

Best I can tell, they are leaking at the cylinder attachment (as compared to the brake line fitting).

Ron - I assume from you comment that the "tight + one revolution" worked?

Thx for the input!

Mike,

Yes... it worked... my fitting came with a sealant (yellow in color) pre-applied that was soft but kind of dry. That, in part, may have given me a false positive on how firmly I was tightening the fittings. After going back over the leaking ones I put some heavy builders paper under the peddles which will show the slightest drop of fluid... so far the system is holding.

-Ron

100_0194.JPG

Last edited:
Mike,

Yes... it worked... my fitting came with a sealant (yellow in color) pre-applied what was soft but kind of dry. That, in part, may have given me a false positive on how firmly I was tightening the fittings. After going back over the leaking ones I put some heavy builders paper under the peddles which will show the slightest drop of fluid... so far the system is holding.

-Ron

100_0194.JPG

So how will the rudder pedals work with the lines crossed as in this picture?

It's just looks that way in the picture... I just check... the up right tube pop in front the two left tubes. I just need to adjust the slack on the tubes.

Thanks,
-Ron

Last edited:
Leaking brake cylinders

I have two that want to let one drop a day seep out, two that are tight and don't leak. I have tightened them as much as I dare in fear of stripping out the threads...were you able to really force them around one more time after they seemed "tight" without damage? I even tried pro-seal around the fittings (not on the threads) and the hydraulic fluid seeps past even pro-seal.

Back