What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Reservoir Level?

I try to keep mine about 3/4 full. Remember as the pads wear, the fluid level will go down in the reservoir.

Also remember to not have the reservoir too full when you replace the pads as the level will go up when you push the caliper pistons back in.

I try to keep mine about 3/4 full. Remember as the pads wear, the fluid level will go down in the reservoir.

Also remember to not have the reservoir too full when you replace the pads as the level will go up when you push the caliper pistons back in.

Thanks! I did have mine overfull when I did the pads a week ago. Had to let some out for sure!

I keep mine down a 1/2 inch from the top. I use a white pull tie as a dip stick. The level of the fluid is a good indicator of how much wear you have on your pads. Caution though.... the wear might not be even between wheels.

MYSTERIOUS LEVEL CHANGE....

I've read that this is not uncommon.....I 'top' mine up to about 1/2" from the top when I check it, a couple times a year.
the next time I look, it's down a full inch from the top.
So it top it up.
then it's down.
....repeat ad infinitum!

( nope, nary a leak anywhere...not even a moist, dusty spot.)

is there actually evaporation of some solvents in the mixture? seems the vented caps in my car would allow a lot of this, but the level's been the same for a decade! :)

Back