What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Pedal Drilling

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of building the brake pedal assemblies and have a question about drilling the "axle" bolts through the angle pieces of the pedals. I don't see any dimensions in the plans for these holes. Do I just drill one side and then place a bolt in and clamp the other side level and drill?

Thank you! I didn't realize the buttom hole of the master cylinder attach bracket was pre-punched for one side of the pedal attach. I simply removed the angles from each side, clamped them together, and match drilled. Worked like a charm and the pedal is parallel to the rudder weldment vertical piece.

similar query

OK, but what about the holes in the "horn" that allow you to bolt the pedal to the cylinder. How do you determine where to locate the pedal so as to correctly mark the hole from the cylinder? The pedal can pivot to various angles when bolted to the ruddr ***'ys. Hope that makes ense! Thanks, Jim

From what I understand it is best to wait until the rudder pedal assy is in the fuselage to drill the master cylinder to the bottom of the pedal. I assume you will just sit in the seat and figure out how far forward the brake pedals need to be reflexed to ensure your feet don't grab a brake while attempting to steer the rudder pedal bars.

Drilling Rudder Pedals

I just drilled mine. After the rudder pedals are mounted in the plane, Line the pedals up to be comfortable with your feet on the pedals. Don't make the top of the pedals tip too far aft or you'll get a cramp in your shins, trying to keep your feet off of the brakes. Not to far foward or you won't be able to tip your feet enough to apply the brakes without your heels comming off of the rudder pedals. hold the pedals at that angle and mark your hole position thru the lower bushing in the brake cylinders then drill.

Thanks! Sounds like I'll need to wait until I flip the canoe and can sit in there to trial the fit. Jim

Back