What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Pedal Deflection

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I have adjusted my rudder pedals with the F-6119 links, the position is alright. Now I am wondering how to adjust the brake pedals before drilling the brake cylinders to the pedals. When the rudder pedals are fully depressed there is limited space for the brake pedals to deflect before they hit the firewall. It?s not tight and I have slightly more than the minimum 3" distance of the F-6116 blocks according to the plans. The Matco brake cylinders have a throw of 1.5" dry.
So question is how far are your brake pedals depressed before the brakes bite? Or how much are the cylinders depressed then on average?

If you located the most forward pivot block hole per plans, and your links are not longer than 3" center to center of the holes, you'll have lots of room. I also rivet the brake pedal angles (the parts attaching the pedal to the rudder bars) to the aft face of the brake pedal. This sets them 7/8" further forward from the rudder bars, and you won't be so likely to inadvertantly drag brakes when steering.

John Siebold

If you located the most forward pivot block hole per plans, and your links are not longer than 3" center to center of the holes, you'll have lots of room. I also rivet the brake pedal angles (the parts attaching the pedal to the rudder bars) to the aft face of the brake pedal. This sets them 7/8" further forward from the rudder bars, and you won't be so likely to inadvertantly drag brakes when steering.

John Siebold

Exactly what John said...!!! You will be glad you set the brakes up this way, too many brake pads end their life early from folks riding on the brakes. A big brake heat issue too... :)

Good to know, so shouldn?t be a problem to apply brakes with a fully deflected rudder pedal.
I will use additional springs, also through bolts on the brake pedals.

Back