What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake pad question

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I?m in the middle of my condition inspection and replacing brake pads. I completed the left side and was doing the right side when I screwed up and installed a rivet backwards. I immediately discovered my error and tried removing the rivet using the Rapco brake tool. Unfortunately I broke the new brake pad.

I called several RV friends and one of them brought me a spare Rapco brake pad kit he had. Unfortunately the pads I initially installed on the left wheel were Vans pads which I believe are Cleveland organic pads. The Rapco pads are also organic but have metal slivers in them. Both wheels have matching pads but different manufacturers - one set pure organic and one set organic with metal slivers.

What the consensus - do left and right wheels have to have matching brake pads?

I have always used matching sets of brake pads when changing.

Have not been able to tell the difference in brake stopping power or life between RAPCO and Cleveland brake pads on my RV, I tend to buy the lower price part.

IF there is no difference in pedal pressure and the airplane does not pull to one side, I may run the two different manufacturer pads till one wore out. IF my ground test shows different pedal pressure to stop straight, I would change out so that both are the same.

Would make for a great test on the longevity of the two different pad material and stopping effectiveness. But that would be subjective to individual foot pressure. Your feet may get into the old argument similar to the 'which is better? Ford or Chevy...'

happy flying!

Never Noticed a Difference

I?ve replaced a lot of brake linings and never could tell the difference in either pad life or braking effectiveness. I buy Rapcos for our RV-6 just because they're cheaper, but if I got a deal on Clevelands I?d buy those, and mix Clevelands and Rapcos without a moment?s hesitation. In fact, I may have done so already since I don?t necessarily know which linings are already in a customer?s airplane.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences. I guess this is a non-issue and in a few years when I replace pads again we?ll see if they wore differently.

Back