What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Lines

civengpe

Well Known Member
Please excuse this question if it is totally stupid.

I am just about to start my -10 and had a question regarding the brake lines. I have seen pictures of the brake lines coming out of the front side of the rudder pedals and some that don't appear to be configured that way as well. What is the standard way? If it is coming out of the front, how does one reconfigure them to come out the back?

I really don't care for the look of them being so visible from the cockpit. :confused:

Mine come out the back------the side facing the tail of the plane.

This is the way that is easiest to work on them, and if there is a problem, then it is easier to spot early.

I think that a setup with the lines coming out the front-----side facing the prop, would be extremely hard to access after the plane is finished.

Now, are you and I using the same reference for front and back???

Please excuse this question if it is totally stupid.

I am just about to start my -10 and had a question regarding the brake lines. I have seen pictures of the brake lines coming out of the front side of the rudder pedals and some that don't appear to be configured that way as well. What is the standard way? If it is coming out of the front, how does one reconfigure them to come out the back?

I really don't care for the look of them being so visible from the cockpit. :confused:

Paul Grimstead was making a custom brake pedal that had the connections on the forward side of the cylinder so that the lines were hidden. You can look at them on Deems Davis's build site. I haven't talk with Paul in quite a while, so I don't know if he is still producing them.

Like Mike stated, the standard attachment comes out the aft side of the brake cylinder. I did use Bonaco (they advertise here on VAF) black colored lines, which makes them less visible in my opinion. Although it does make it slightly more difficult to set up, since you can't see air bubbles in the lines. Bonaco sells them in multiple colors so that you have a good chance of matching your interior colors.

bob

Mine come out the back------the side facing the tail of the plane.

This is the way that is easiest to work on them, and if there is a problem, then it is easier to spot early.

I think that a setup with the lines coming out the front-----side facing the prop, would be extremely hard to access after the plane is finished.

Now, are you and I using the same reference for front and back???

No, I was 180 degrees opposite. I really do not like the way it looks with all of the brake lines routed in view of the cockpit. It looks unfinished to me. The braided hoses do dress it up some though. I need to take a look at how the lines are run on my Cherokee and maybe I can adapt something from that.

No, I was 180 degrees opposite. I really do not like the way it looks with all of the brake lines routed in view of the cockpit. It looks unfinished to me. The braided hoses do dress it up some though. I need to take a look at how the lines are run on my Cherokee and maybe I can adapt something from that.

The brake kit that Paul Grimstead was selling was very similiar to how the brakes on a Cherokee work. Paul was selling them for $1,800 if I remember correctly.

Here's a photo of Deems' installation of Paul's brake system:

DSC06606.JPG

Like I mentioned previously, I installed Dave Hertner's brake pedals, which you can get from Cleaveland Tools. Here's an install photo and it also shows the Bonaco brake lines.

FP16112010A000NB.jpg

To rework the current configuration, it will take significant modifications. Not something for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Take a look at both Cirrus and Diamond their brake lines are facing the pilot similar to the RV-10.

Initially I had a small leak and only fixed it after three attempts and finally after replacing the brass fitting. Glad mine is AFT :confused: Yes it is AFT.

Back