What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake lines - fuse to wheel

Brake line failures - fuse to wheel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Brake line failure - fuselage to wheel

I have recently seen a brake line fail/crack on a 7A with about 150 hours total time. It cracked about 50 mm below the fuselage. We could not se any marks or indication of previous damage.

I have sent Vans a picture and asked about using flexible lines with the metal braid on the RV10 as well as the 7A. They reckon we should stick to the alu lines.

I am just wondering how many RV10 failures there have been and how many builders used flexible lines?

Last edited:
With Bonaco making the lines for the RV's it's a no brainer. Install and secure the lines and you're done.

<SNIP>

I have sent Vans a picture and asked about using flexible lines with the metal braid on the RV10 as well as the 7A. They reckon we should stick to the alu lines.

<SNIP>

Jan, did Vans say why they Recon we should stick to alu line?

Last edited:
Quote from Tom Green on why we should stick to the alu lines.

No on the flexible lines... the flexibility of the rubber lines can oscillate when the brakes are depressed and cause a squeal.... stick with the solid aluminum... van's

Jan.

No on the flexible lines... the flexibility of the rubber lines can oscillate when the brakes are depressed and cause a squeal.... stick with the solid aluminum... van's.

Dear Vans,

Yes on the flexible lines. No to the solid aluminum.

A crack in the brake line will carry fluid down to the brake pads. The brake pads get very hot and ignite the fluid. The fluid burns the wheel pant. The wheel pant is under the gas tank.

I can live with the squealing. It's much more tolerable than the screaming associated with burning.

Best Regards,
Phil

Bonoco lines for me.

I am with you, and besides....

Dear Vans,

Yes on the flexible lines. No to the solid aluminum.

A crack in the brake line will carry fluid down to the brake pads. The brake pads get very hot and ignite the fluid. The fluid burns the wheel pant. The wheel pant is under the gas tank.

I can live with the squealing. It's much more tolerable than the screaming associated with burning.

Best Regards,
Phil

Bonoco lines for me.

I agree with you! Besides, the hoses are not (or shouldn't be) RUBBER! The braided steel lines should be teflon. I don't make a habit of dis-agreeing with van's, but I think the hard aluminum lines are a bad idea, though I know there are tons of them flying around.

Back