What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Line Material and Fuel Line Life ?

Geeman

Well Known Member
Question #1

I recently purchased an RV-6 and the brake lines are aluminum tubing. There is area close to the cowl on both sides that show signs of rubbing. When I replace this tubing, should I go back with aluminum? I split and wrapped some rubber tubing around the brake tubing to keep it from getting worse and also plan on opening up the area where it passes by the cowl. What are you guys using for the brake lines?

Also, inside the cabin, the brake lines are plastic tubing. I have not looked over everthing real close, but I figure these have a life extpectancy. How long do these typically last?

Question #2

The fuel lines from the firewall to the engine, are made of braided/rubber/firesleeved tubing. What is the life expectancy for this? The plane was finished in 2000 and only has about 200 hours on it. Should I be looking at replacing these lines due to age?

And #3.....thanks for such a great forum. Realistically, I probably would not have purchased an RV without this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Give Tom Swearigen at TS Flightlines a call. He can answer you questions and provide you new lines as well. He advertises here on VAF.

The aluminum brake lines are normal. The "plastic" brake lines inside are normal. Many people have upgraded the plastic lines to superior ones, but mine are still working great after over 19 years.

The fuel lines, unless they are Teflon lined have a life of 5 years.

The aluminum brake lines are normal. The "plastic" brake lines inside are normal. Many people have upgraded the plastic lines to superior ones, but mine are still working great after over 19 years.

The fuel lines, unless they are Teflon lined have a life of 5 years.

Mel, do the teflon lined hoses last longer?

The Teflon lined hoses don't list a life. They are touted to be "lifetime".

Back