What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Line Fittings

steve wyman

Well Known Member
Anybody got any cool ideas out there for getting the small inserts to go in the brake lines? I live in Denver, and water boils up here at a considerably lower temperature than at sea level. That probably means I'm not getting the platic lines hot enough to allow the inserts to go in. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Steve

Steve,

Works best for me if I get at eye level with the table. Then i stand the post up and try to insert any part of the tube straight down that will hold it in. Then I put it in the hot water for at least a minute (doesn't have to be boiling...just hot) ...then soon as I take it out I go back to the eye level routine and it usually slides right on down. Of course sometimes you have the ferrule a little ways up but it works the same way. Good luck!

Now a question for you....what are you doing about torquing the brass fittings (and the blue fuel fittings for that matter).

Steve,

Works best for me if I get at eye level with the table. Then i stand the post up and try to insert any part of the tube straight down that will hold it in. Then I put it in the hot water for at least a minute (doesn't have to be boiling...just hot) ...then soon as I take it out I go back to the eye level routine and it usually slides right on down. Of course sometimes you have the ferrule a little ways up but it works the same way. Good luck!

Now a question for you....what are you doing about torquing the brass fittings (and the blue fuel fittings for that matter).
Pete- I tighten them down until they feel like they are bottomed out. My tech councilor on my RANS S-7 told me not to overdo it- especially on the blue AN fuel line fittings. If the flare has been done properly, they shouldn't leak with almost not much more pressure than hand tight. Steve P.S. I haven't had any leaks so far ( knock on wood).

Thanks Steve. The web site on here under "references" actually has torque ratings (110+ I think)...as well as Plan B which is to hand-tighten then add a quarter turn. I chose plan B after lubricating the flare and the threads. We'll see.

Back