What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake line fitting sealant question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am at the point to hook the brake master cylinders up. What sealant should I use on the pipe thread where it goes into the Matco cylinder, also where the plastic fitting goes into the resivor? I called the Matco phone number that was on the side of the cylinder but it said the number was not in service any more. I am thinking Permatex #2. I did some searching here and some one suggested that as well. I have used it for a lot of things over the years and had good luck with it, but have never used it on a brake line.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks Gary,
I have used Permatex #2 many times on this type of fitting over the years but did not know if it was affected by brake fluid.

Loctite

Loctite makes a product for threads in hydraulic applications. Don't have the number here as the bottle is in the hangar. I found it doing research and googling. Seemed better than teflon tape or goo which were both ill advised in my research.
Had to order it online as none was available locally. It's a sealant and a thread lock. Seemed like a good idea to me but this is not an experienced recommendation by an aviation guru, just my experience......:rolleyes:

Loctite 567 for metal fittings, something else for plastic fittings

I asked Matco a while back and they recommended Loctite 567. But that's for metal to metal only, not compatible with plastics. So if you use Van's standard nylon fitting up at the reservoir (many of us do not) then you'll need to use some other type of sealant there. Can't help you with that one.

Back