What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake line bleeding?

Up worked for me - -

Only tried up, and worked well, so don't know if down will work.

John Bender

Search for the word "bleed" - lots of good advice. "Up" for me using the oil-can routine and some clear tubing. Worked well but I did pump a lot through (just recycled it)

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Steve, Welcome to VAF:D

I also bleed from the bottom.

Be sure your brake pedals are all the way retracted, or else the master cylinder will not pass fluid through to the reservoir.

Brake bleeding was a real PITA!See http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...hn&project=639&category=6257&log=116836&row=1 for the equipment I assembled for the job. The pump can deliver quite a good flow. The fitting and tube at the top of the overflow allows pumping continuously without worry about spills. Even so, I eventually had to loosen the fittings at the cylinders to let the air out there. I still ended up with one or two tiny bubbles at the top of the tubing loops. Doesn't seem to cause any appreciable detrimental effect. My brakes work great.

Bottom up, and I found occasionally jiggling and cycling the master cylinders during the process to release trapped air from inside the master cylinders made mine bubble free. I think a second set of hands helps too.

Back