What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

brake fluid choice

buck

Looking into which brake fluid type to use. Given the incidence of wheel pants and fairings burnt and I hear a couple of a/c destroyed, I'm not
going to use 5606 as the flash point is down at 215 f . I'm thinking about
using power steering fluid which is about 390 f . I wouldn't have to change seals and it should work as well. Ester based fluid is out due to seal change and it's nasty stuff. Turbine oil is too expensive. Any thoughts or comments??
Buck RV-6A finishing up...

Tough to find

Anybody have a good source for 83282 (Aeroshell 31 or Royco 782)? None of the places I checked carry it. 5606 seems to be the standard.

Yes,.....

...A.A.R Cooper...used to be Aviation Suply Corp. in Atlanta will ship it UPS to you. 800 241 6850, in quarts too. Just be very careful and wear latex gloves and please, don't get it on so much as a scratch! My buddy almost lost his arm and spent three days in the hospital taking antibiotics....this stuff is dangerous and has a dermal warning on the label.

Regards,

Shell distributors

Pierre beat me to it, but here is a list of the Shell distributors that can get Fluid 31. Pierre's lead is better though, Shell's smallest container is a gallon, and they sell them in cases of 6. :rolleyes:

www.TinyURL.com/4tmzwg

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

.(snip) be very careful and wear latex gloves and please, don't get it on so much as a scratch! My buddy almost lost his arm and spent three days in the hospital taking antibiotics....this stuff is dangerous and has a dermal warning on the label.

Regards,

Hi Pierre.

Are you sure you don't have 83282 confused with something else, like maybe Skydrol?

The MSDS can be found here and seems relatively benign compared to many of th fluids we use around aircraft.

Nope...

Hi Pierre.

Are you sure you don't have 83282 confused with something else, like maybe Skydrol?

......it's Royco in the red can and I just double-checked. Brian had to replace his plastic feed lines from the reservoir and had a bunch of scratches on both arms from the sharp ends of tie-wraps holding wires, etc on his -4. A drop of fluid here and there, he'd wipe with a rag (spreading it) and washed after he was done. The very next day his right arm was swollen and hard and painfull. The Doctor (my personal one) told him that he was very lucky that he didn't lose his arm. I saw all this and visited him in the hospital room.....trust me on this one....be very careful.

Regards,

Dave,
He said he doesn't want to have to change the O-rings in his system. Even staying with a mineral based fluid, he should still change out the caliper O-rings to Viton, for improved heat resistance.
Charlie Kuss

My bad... I didn't realize that the system _didn't_ use Viton... Oh well there's always Krytox...

Royco 782 (MIL 83282) in quarts?

...A.A.R Cooper...used to be Aviation Suply Corp. in Atlanta will ship it UPS to you. 800 241 6850, in quarts too. Just be very careful and wear latex gloves and please, don't get it on so much as a scratch! My buddy almost lost his arm and spent three days in the hospital taking antibiotics....this stuff is dangerous and has a dermal warning on the label.

Regards,

Hi all:

I've been searching for a source for MIL 83282 brake fluid (Royco 782 or Aeroshell 31) in a quart size and I just cannot find it. Pierre above had a lead in Atlanta but the number is disconnected and I'm turning up empty handed with my on line searches.

Does anybody have a lead as to where to get this stuff in quarts without buying a case?

Thanks

Try Mobil 1 synth ATF . . .

I've been using it for one year. No problems to report. I investigated this last October. It's in the archives. Hope this helps.

For those of you using the Mobil ATF, did you change the 0-rings in the braking system?
I have a gallon of Royco 782, but I'm considering not using it for safety reasons.

No o-ring change required

For those of you using the Mobil ATF, did you change the 0-rings in the braking system?
I have a gallon of Royco 782, but I'm considering not using it for safety reasons.

Mike:

I've read that no brake O-Ring change is required when using Mobil 1 ATF. Do a search for it on these forums and you'll see for yourself.

I just purchased a quart tonight and I'll put it in this week.

Be advised that Mobil1 Synthetic ATF starts smoking around 250*F, and by 275* it's giving off enough smoke to activate hangar smoke alarms (ask me how I know this... :eek:). At 290* it's turning a nasty brown color and leaving residue in the bottom of the container.

I'd go with MIL-H-83282; that's the plan for my RV... whenever I'm able to get started on it. Royco 782 is available in quart cans - I use them at my civ. job all the time. I don't know of any suppliers who sell in single-can quantities, though... unless you know someone with an Aviall account.

On that note:
Not to argue with you, Pierre, but I've been working with/around MIL-H-83282 since 1993 - I've had the stuff running in streams down my arms into my armpits, soaked into the knees of my coveralls/flightsuits/jeans... and I've NEVER had a reaction even remotely close to what you describe your friend having.

HOWEVER... It's possible that your friend is/was hypersensitive to something in the fluid. When I was stationed in SoCal in the Marines, there was a Marine CH-46 mechanic on the base who ended up having to change to a non-aviation job because he became hypersensitive to tricresyl phosphate (TCP - an additive in MIL-L-23699 and DOD-L-85734 oils used in jets and turbine helicopters). It gave him terrible skin irritations just being near it.

Be advised that Mobil1 Synthetic ATF starts smoking around 250*F, and by 275* it's giving off enough smoke to activate hangar smoke alarms (ask me how I know this... :eek:). At 290* it's turning a nasty brown color and leaving residue in the bottom of the container.

What does 83282 do under the same circumstances?

I've been using Mobil-1 ATF for a long time, as have many, many other fliers. It works and is much better than 5606. It may not be exactly the same as 83282, but chemically, it is very close.

Brake Fluid

I'm not wanting to start a fuss here, but why re-invent the wheel? The brakes were designed to use standard aviation 5606 hydraulic oil. The RV's use about 6 ounces and a qt can cost $7.00. You don't need to change o-rings or any parts. Just my opinion.
Charlie

I switched because 5606 has two nasty habits: One, it is flamable at a fairly low temperature and two, I get a rash every time this stuff touches my skin. I think that's why many are looking to switch to 83282, which is where this thread was headed.

It's not a big argument really. If you want to stay with 83282 or 5606, then go for it. If you want to use Mobil-1 ATF, it is an option and you RV won't fall out of the sky.

I had a brake stick two years ago upon landing at AirVenture. By the time I had stopped taxiing, my caliper had heated up to the point of flattening the O-rings and draining all the fluid out of my right brake. Had I been using 5606, I am convinced that I would have had a brake fire.

A.A.R Cooper out of business?

Regards,

Hi Pierre,

When I call the 800#, I get a 'number out of service' mesg. Do you by chance have another lead?

Thanks,

Fluid Properties info

Mil-H-83232D has Firepoint @ 245C and Flashpoint at 205C
Mobil 1 ATF (no firepoint listed) Flashpoint 200C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post

Regards,

Is this stuff really that hard on your skin? I used to overhaul automatic transmissions and was literally up to my elbows in ATF almost continuously with the only side effect being baby soft hands. The fire hazard with ATF being the same as 83282 then I know which way I would go.

Bob Parry

Back