What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Disk Rubbing Wheel Pant Bracket

Dbro172

Well Known Member
hopefully this helps someone else...

Since day one I've heard dragging noise and interference inside the wheel pants while pushing my plane around with towbar. Not enough to create any real drag but enough to drive me nuts and have others comment about it. I always thought this was the the brake pads simply rubbing on the disks.

Recently I swapped out the stock wheels / brakes and tires for a set of grove wheels/brakes and Desser retreads. The grove disk brake has a thicker disk and I noticed my dragging noise got worse.

Sunday morning I awoke at 2am and it dawned on me that this noise was the brake disk rubbing against the wheel pant bracket.

I pulled out my iPad in bed and studied the PDFs. I found that AN960 washers can be added here to create adequate spacing between the disc and bracket.... 1/16" it says.

So, I cruised to hangar at 6am, pulled both wheels / brakes, installed AN960-10's behind the spacer and had interference free wheels for the first time in 60 hours of flying and was back home by 10 am.

This satisfaction coupled with the added performance of the Grove Wheel / brake package I installed has solidified the RV Grin.

I still wonder however; why do the plans call for such a TIGHT fit between the disk and Bracket... seems an 1/8" to 1/4" would be OK....

Couple comments on the Desser Retreads: Good tires, slightly larger than stock Aeroclassics, leave a noticeable flat spot where you park them, even at 55 PSI.

I had to do this too. It happens if, at any point when you are fitting the wheel pants, you put a bit of preload on your mounting braket. Like you I found that adding a washer took care of it. Still you should check the bracket. The brake rotor probably scored the face of it. If so, it should be smoothed out.

hopefully this helps someone else...

Since day one I've heard dragging noise and interference inside the wheel pants while pushing my plane around with towbar. Not enough to create any real drag but enough to drive me nuts and have others comment about it. I always thought this was the the brake pads simply rubbing on the disks.

Recently I swapped out the stock wheels / brakes and tires for a set of grove wheels/brakes and Desser retreads. The grove disk brake has a thicker disk and I noticed my dragging noise got worse.

Sunday morning I awoke at 2am and it dawned on me that this noise was the brake disk rubbing against the wheel pant bracket.

I pulled out my iPad in bed and studied the PDFs. I found that AN960 washers can be added here to create adequate spacing between the disc and bracket.... 1/16" it says.

So, I cruised to hangar at 6am, pulled both wheels / brakes, installed AN960-10's behind the spacer and had interference free wheels for the first time in 60 hours of flying and was back home by 10 am.

This satisfaction coupled with the added performance of the Grove Wheel / brake package I installed has solidified the RV Grin.

I still wonder however; why do the plans call for such a TIGHT fit between the disk and Bracket... seems an 1/8" to 1/4" would be OK....

Couple comments on the Desser Retreads: Good tires, slightly larger than stock Aeroclassics, leave a noticeable flat spot where you park them, even at 55 PSI.

I noticed on mine that one side was fine and the other was too close. I was able to add the washers before Phase I to even both sides out.

I know Jason Beaver had similar issues.

Back