What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake disc rubbing

frankh

Well Known Member
on wheelpant brackets...DOH! :mad:

Despite my best efforts it turns out this has been happening. Discovered it after 12 hours so no real damage done but obviously needs to be fixed.

I have been flexing the bracket away from the disc but of course when you put the nose cap on its impossible to know if the bracket is touching the disc.

I was thinking of cutting semi circular shim that extends thru the bottom of the wheelpant from 32 thou alu that I can slip between the bracket and disc, then fitting the nose cap and seeing if it goes tight after I replace the nose cap.

Is this about the best way or does anyone else have a more genius method?

Thanks

Frank

Never had the problem

Never had the problem so it is hard to comment without coming off badly. The brackets on the main gear of my RV-6A are close to the brake disks but they do not touch. I could guess that it is not a steady state condition but something that occurs upon landing or taxiing especially if some of the wiggles take place as I have seen in Van's videos of RVs taxiing on grass.

Bob Axsom

Put a piece of masking tape on the inside of the wheel pant. It will mark if there is any rubbing.

Back