What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake cleaner and recaps

McFly

Well Known Member
I am probably the only person who didn?t realize this but just in case there is one more?.I will tell you of my pain.:eek:

I had the wheels off to repack bearings and replace the tires. I shot some brake cleaner on the wheels to clean off the brake dust, grease and grim. It did a great job on cutting through the crud, it also did a great job of stripping the paint. I have never used paint stripper that worked that fast, it was that quick. I don?t know if the brake cleaner is that good or the paint Cleveland uses is that poor. No matter, I should have known better.

On another note: I purchased some recaps to replace the Air Hawks supplied by Vans. The recaps feel like they weigh twice as much as the Air Hawks :eek: Both have a 6 ply rating.

So which "brand" of recaps didja get? Desser, Wilkerson, Skytreads, etc? I recall reading Dan C's posts about the Wilkersons being very heavy and stiff, while everyone seems to like the Desser retreads... I'm just curious, almost due for a new set of tires and thinking about retreads.

These are from Dresser. Heavy and stiff is a good description for these tires as well.

Back