What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Caliper O-ring Replaced......

turbo

Well Known Member
img0184zh.jpg

when it comes time to replace a caliper o-ring which is leaking get the blue plug/cap part at the bottom of the pic. it can be used to plug the brake line so you dont loose all the fluid in the line when you disconnect it. it can be used to cap the caliper to degrease it. if you are lucky you may not have to rebleed the system.

Last edited:
An Alternative method...

img0184zh.jpg

when it comes time to replace a caliper o-ring which is leaking get the blue plug/cap part at the bottom of the pic. it can be used to plug the brake line so you dont loose all the fluid in the line when you disconnect it. it can be used to cap the caliper to degrease it. if you are lucky you may not have to rebleed the system.

is to slightly apply the master cylinders so the seal in the m/cyl is just past the compensating port.

LarryT

Soda straw

larry, not sure what your trying to say.

If one covers the top end of soda straw, one can pull it out of the drink and all the liquid will remain in the straw.

Same principle with brake bleeding. If the master cylinder is applied so it is past the compensating port (inlet to m/cyl from reservoir), then the master cylinder is no longer vented to atmosphere at top and no fluid can escape from the bottom of the braqke line. Just make sure that the brakes don't get released before the hose is reconnected to the caliper!

Let me know if this was a better explanation.

Larry

Interesting idea...

How about just replacing the vent cap in the master cylinder with a solid plug.. Seems that this would prevent draining of the fluid and make the job MUCH easier...;)

If you get a perfect seal, I think that would work well. That is too difficult w/automotive dual master cylinders, which is why travel past the compensating ports works. Think your idea would be better than mine for aircraft with multiple individual master cylinders, Terry.

Back