What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake bulkhead fitting

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Ready to install brake line bulkhead AN fittings through gear bracket down the gear legs and wondered if anybody substituted steel fittings instead of the aluminum. Thinking all that flexing down there might snap the aluminum. Am i being a little dumb and over cautious? :confused: What did you guys use?

STUMPED ?

24 hours and no replies. WOW :eek: I finally stumped ya. I guess I'll just stick with the aluminum AN flare fittings instead of the steel. :) Thanks anyway.

24 hours and no replies. WOW :eek: I finally stumped ya. I guess I'll just stick with the aluminum AN flare fittings instead of the steel. :) Thanks anyway.

I think the aluminum lines will absorb any vibration/flexing that might be present.

If you are still concerned, and easy solution would be to use a flex line all the way down the leg to the brake cylinder.

I used aluminum bulkhead fittings at the fuse, aluminum lines down the legs to an aluminum fitting, then instead of the "circle" of hard line, I used steel-braided hoses from Bonaco to make a loop (actually, more of a 180 from the fitting to the brake). Figured, like you, all that flexing down there could cause a failure in a hard line, although I know a gazillion planes are out there with the "stock" installation.

Back