What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Bleeding and Binding

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I bought a handy dandy pressure brake bleeder and after use I now have rock solid brakes. Unfortunately now the brakes tend not to fully release.

If left relaxed for a while they back off and if I reach into the foot well and pull back the pedals they release.

Anyone else experience this? I guess that a little air in the line gave them some "give".

Brake return springs?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

The air that was in your system would push the master piston back to fully extended and allow the fluid to flow back and release the brakes. Springs added to your master cyl's will solve this problem.

Springs and locking sleeves can be found at your local hardware store. But make sure that your pedals are not bilding.

Another possible problem...

If you have "hanging" pedals, do you have individual bolts either side of the brake pedal or one long bolt? The individual bolts can "****" slightly causing the pedals to bind. Replace them with long bolts that go al the way through. These bolts will remain in-line and prevent binding of the pedals.

There are lots of things that can cause friction in the peddle movement and make them hang up.
The reason they didn't before being bled was that the peddle stroked farther and gave the spring more compression. This gave it a longer push to get it back to the stop. Properly bled, the peddle movement is very small.

The peddles need to be adjusted so that there is zero detectable friction.

Sticky brakes

Had a similar exp, brake would not release, checked the bolts to insure no binding, (was none) then put external springs on the master cyls. just a little pressure will keep the brakes locked, no problem in 3 years
Peter

Just Finished Mods

I finished fitting long pivot bolts and return springs this evening. The long bolts on their own didn't seem to make much difference but the springs positively return the pedals to the stops.

I'll try them tomorrow or at the weekend. When I finished it was getting dark and very gusty here on the southern VT/NY border.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1 almost complete

PIREP

I finished fitting long pivot bolts and return springs this evening. The long bolts on their own didn't seem to make much difference but the springs positively return the pedals to the stops.

I'll try them tomorrow or at the weekend. When I finished it was getting dark and very gusty here on the southern VT/NY border.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1 almost complete

Still windy here but flew this morning - and the brakes release very well!

Back